This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I install VMware Workstation

I have downloaded a trial version of VMware Workstation but when I try to install by clicking on the package it just opens with Kate. What do i do now? I know I am missing something just not sure what.

The reason I wanted to try workstation is that my virtual box machines are not talking to each other. I need to setup a virtual network with at least four computers for testing but I can not get them to communicate with each other.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
    Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Re: How can I install VMware Workstation

When you are in the folder containing the package, press F4 (assumed you're using dolphin). This will open an embed konsole inside dolphin. Type in:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i <package_name.deb>
    This is a quick solution to your problem. I have never downloaded vmware to my lap so I also assumes they will provide you a .deb file or .rpm file to install it.
    To fix the mime association (so this package will never be opened with kate anymore) -> open the "System settings" -> "File Associations" -> Type the file extension in search box -> Choose the desired program to open it.

Comment

Read the instructions. VMware Server User's Guide
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I copy the xxx.bundle file to /tmp. Then, at the /tmp prompt:

Code:
        sudo sh VMware-namegoeshere.bundle
        Because it's not a .sh file, bash does not complete the file name automatically -- you have to type the whole thing.

Comment

I did look first at the instructions on VMware's site but didn't understand it. I tried to install the way dibl said "sudo sh VMware-namegoeshere.bundle" but got error that I must uninstall VMWare Player first. I went back to VM's site and I think I really messed something up cause now I can’t start Player or install Workstation :-( Does anyone know if Virtualbox and network 4 machines together? Mine all get the same IP and when I set static nothing works.

Thanks for all your help as Always!

Jason
          Computer are like air conditioners: they stop working when you open windows!<br /><br />Linux : Because you wouldnt put a Porsche&#39;s engine in a Pinto<br /><br />case : HAF 932<br />mother board: ASUS p5e3<br />processor: Intel e8500 3.16 GHz<br />RAM: 8 GB Corsair DDR3 1600<br />power supply: Corsair 850W<br />video card: GeForce 8400

Comment

Working...
          X