Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED - Kubuntu 11.10 - upgrade or clean install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu 11.10 - upgrade or clean install?

I haven't seen

Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    mentioned in this thread. FWIW, upgraded from 11.04 last night. Literally the only problem is the knotes icon being blank in the system tray (but I do not use any of the other kdepim stuff). KDE and the Kubuntu team do amazing work.

Comment

My personal choice is to back up my important data and do a fresh install of a new release. Then restore the data I want to keep on the new install.

IMO, there are far fewer problems with a fresh install than an dist-upgrade. The downside is that there is a lot of work to do installing ones favorite apps, porting over the data to the new db install, carrying over email from the old install, the email address book, and the FireFox book marks, etc.....

But, I only work in an LTS, and the intermediate releases I test as a guest OS, so I don't have to do this very often.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I too, prefer to do a fresh installation, which is why I configure for double- or triple-booting on my laptops.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          IMO, there are far fewer problems with a fresh install than an dist-upgrade. The downside is that there is a lot of work to do installing ones favorite apps, porting over the data to the new db install, carrying over email from the old install, the email address book, and the FireFox book marks, etc.....
          Ay, there's the rub.

Suppose (may be a silly idea)...

Given I'm going to retain /home (all my personal stuff), if I used the "Save/Read Markings" feature of Synaptics to re-install all the missing applications, I think that all I'd be short of is bookmarks and local e-mail folders. Which I can back-up and restore manually.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers

Comment

I don't think that will work. The new release will be against a different repository that probably has filenames that can be different. Older files may have been dropped in the new release. Newer files may be required which are not in the old release, etc....

It's a good recovery tool for a specific installation with user changes but not for crossing version boundaries.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I don't think that will work. The new release will be against a different repository that probably has filenames that can be different. Older files may have been dropped in the new release. Newer files may be required which are not in the old release, etc....

It's a good recovery tool for a specific installation with user changes but not for crossing version boundaries.
              OK, I understand.

Is there any way to identify the applications that I've manually added, ie, the ones that won't come in the CD? I can list the obvious (big) ones, but I'm thinking of the small bits (additional this, extra function that) that I've stumbled upon over the months?

Cheers

Comment

hey guys im fairly new to kubuntu i just installed the latest release but through wubi...i really enjoy it so i want to permanently install it but still keep windows with which i used to boot wubi also could you pls guide me ow to increase hdd partition for kubuntu...and can the method be eas or atleast understandable for someone wo cant code in sudo....or linux whichever name....

Comment

Originally posted by frenchian
                  Is there any way to identify the applications that I've manually added, ie, the ones that won't come in the CD? I can list the obvious (big) ones, but I'm thinking of the small bits (additional this, extra function that) that I've stumbled upon over the months?
                  Here is an article, written in 2006, that explains how to do what you want. Be sure to read ALL of the responses to it because they add significant corrections and variations. Check to be sure that your version of Kubuntu has "dselect" installed. If not, install it from the repository.

The principal command is:
                  Code:
                  dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > installed-files.txt
                  You can edit the txt file to eliminate the packages you are no longer interested in.
                  Once you’ve got your (new) Kubuntu installation up and running, copy your kubuntu-files.txt back into your home directory and do the following:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
                  sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                  dpkg –set-selections < kubuntu-files.txt
                  If you are reinstalling or recovering an installation you should have backed up your /etc/apt/sources.list file as well to make sure you have your repository re-established as well.

Comment

GreyGeek, thankyou for that - it's what I was hoping to find.

I've already got the sources.list copied, so I reckon I'm all set.

Thanks for everybody's help

Comment

Originally posted by frenchian
                      Here is an article, written in 2006, that explains how to do what you want. Be sure to read ALL of the responses to it because they add significant corrections and variations. Check to be sure that your version of Kubuntu has "dselect" installed. If not, install it from the repository.

The principal command is:
                      Code:
                      dpkg --get-selections | grep -v deinstall > installed-files.txt
                      You can edit the txt file to eliminate the packages you are no longer interested in.
                      Once you’ve got your (new) Kubuntu installation up and running, copy your kubuntu-files.txt back into your home directory and do the following:

Code:

sudo apt-get update
                      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                      dpkg –set-selections < kubuntu-files.txt
                      If you are reinstalling or recovering an installation you should have backed up your /etc/apt/sources.list file as well to make sure you have your repository re-established as well.
                      Just to say, the fresh install went almost (99.5%) perfectly, following this process. It didn't install Opera, but that was easily corrected, and some minor presonalisations needed re-doing, but otherwise it was pain-free.

Thanks for the help

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but it's got some good stuff in it, so...

The article GreyGeek references in his post on longer works. Sadly, the ArsGeek domain is no more. However, the article can still be found on the WayBackMachine (just copy the original url and paste it into the web.archive.org search box). Here's the link: http://web.archive.org/web/201207090...tall-packages/
                        MB:ASUS M3A78-EM AM2+/AM2 780G HDMI, Proc: Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6 GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache, Graph: Int. ATI Radeon HD 3200, Aud: Int. Realtek ALC1200 8 channels, Ram: 2GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 SDRAM, Monitor: Dell SE198WFP 19&quot; Wide FPM

Comment

Working...
                        X