This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Trouble with 'Fix' on screen resolution

I just realized that I failed to mention at the start of this thread that I had tried to update my Driver and get the Catalyst program from AMD/ATI before the below took place. I did follow the removal directions after a failed attempt but then installed the 'fglrx -amdcccle and verified the jockey-kde.
    Reference http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

I once again updated my video drivers [via Applications>Additional Drivers] and I am again at 1600 X 1200 on an old CRT monitor. I looked up the "Fix" from Jan. 15, 2011. When I enter the first line; sudo nano /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
    I get this out put in the Konsole

GNU nano 2.2.6 File: /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup Modified #! /bin/sh
    # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears ! /bin/sh xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0
    #-notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &
    # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears
    /sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=kdm
    #xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &
    /sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=kdm ^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read
    File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos ^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnCut
    Text ^T To Spell

[ Can now UnJustify! ]
    ^G Get Help ^O WriteOut ^R Read File ^Y Prev Page ^K Cut Text ^C Cur Pos
    ^X Exit ^J Justify ^W Where Is ^V Next Page ^U UnJustify ^T To Spell

I have no idea how to run anything before my log-in screen appears except for entering BIOS and I know that is not what is being directed.

The "Fix" says 'Add this line; xranr --output default --mode 1280x1024 [which happens to be the setting I want] am I suppose to add that to the sudo line before I hit enter?

As always thanks for your help in advance.
    -------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------
    I have done a bit of searching on-line;
    I copied this line into the search box in 'How-To's' section of the Forum

Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

Of course my thread comes up as 65% the next is 37.9% and is about “Upstart” which I am not sure is what I need to do or not.

These are read-outs from Kinfocenter under Graphical Information >>Open GL

Direct Rendering; Driver>Renderer> ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL)
    OpenGL Version 4 .1.10665
    Kernel Module 'unknown

Indirect Rendering : same as above ATI card
    OpenGL version 2.1(4.1.10665 Compatibility Profile Context Fire GL)

GLX vendor and extensions ATI version 1.4
    GLU version 1.3

And under Sys;Settings Desktop Effects, Advanced tab I have Composting type set to OpenGL
    This might be too much information; if so then please say so, I am still in hopes that I just did not understand the instructions in the How-To Topic "One way to 'Fix' the Screen Resolution" thread from Jan. 15, 2011
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: Trouble with 'Fix' on screen resolution

nano is a console editor (simple editor that runs from the console). For what you need/want to do, it would be simpler to just launch kate 'as root' so you can edit the file. Two ways to do this.

1) Open a console and then type:
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
    or,
    2) from the desktop press Alt+F2 (launches Kicker) and type: kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I thank you snowhog;; however I must have really messed things up on my attempt to manually install Catalyst. I have taken a temporary solution into hand at this time though it is not ideal. I did a fresh install [my system 8 1/2 days old] and that make twice for the re-install. I used the 'Additional Drivers' option under Applications and have the Ubuntu tested ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics Driver installed. I have reset my font and icons in system settings. This is not ideal but for now it works. I will see if my browser {Firefox} and mail [evolution] will allow some fine tuning of font display. If I can get those displays in proper order then I will just stay with this, if not I will look into the ATI control center and control center Admin. that are now in my Kmenu>App's>settings folder. I am thinking the Admin. of the ATI Console will work with my 'master' password and I will report back on this in a day or two for others who might need to know.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      No go on the ATI Catalyst Control Center; when I launch the "super User" it does not activate the Control Center therefore it does not allow resolution changes.
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I ran kdesudo kate /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup in Konsole and then entered xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768 but the resolution is still 1600 X 1200 in the Display settings
      -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I did run the fglrxinfo in the Konsole and the test of fgl_glgears and got a positive read out and test of 3-D ; I forgot to copy that out but it was all correct. I will repeat and add that information shortly.
      I am wondering if I am not presenting the correct argument to get this to work right?
      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xsetup [modified]-Kate

#! /bin/sh
      # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears

#xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail -file /dev/xconsole &

/sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=kdm
      xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768
      ^O
      xrandr --output default --mode 1024x768
      ^O
      >> then I clicked 'Save' in the Kate window and restarted, the second one I just did and will restart soon

oceans-n-peril@oceans-n-peril:~$ sudo aticonfig --initial -f
      [sudo] password for oceans-n-peril:
      Uninitialised file found, configuring.
      Fail to link to fglrx-libglx.so, please check whether driver is installed correctly is this the problem??
      Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      Saving back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.fglrx-0

oceans-n-peril@oceans-n-peril:~$ fglrxinfo
      display: :0 screen: 0
      OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string: ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) Graphics Adapter
      OpenGL version string: 4.1.10665 Compatibility Profile Context FireGL

oceans-n-peril@oceans-n-peril:~$ fgl_glgears [oops]
      fgl_glgears: command not found
      oceans-n-peril@oceans-n-peril:~$ fgl_glxgears [ this is the test module]
      Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
      1937 frames in 5.0 seconds = 387.400 FPS
      2022 frames in 5.0 seconds = 404.400 FPS
      2015 frames in 5.0 seconds = 403.000 FPS
      1916 frames in 5.0 seconds = 383.200 FPS >>>this is where I exited the 3D rendering [cube with gears spinning on X Y & Z axis with gears turning

Just one more note, I am running in Open GL not X-Server
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

Is there a way to symlink this connection?

Fail to link to fglrx-libglx.so

Comment

FYI for any searchers; ATI writes there Drivers for Gnome GUI at this time. Better to run Gnome in Ubuntu.

Comment

Working...
          X