This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MBP] installation help

Hey all. Just to clarify, MBP = macbook pro. So here is my issue... This isn't my first time installing a linux distro on my mac, but it seems that my optical drive is out for the count.... Or something else strange... I can burn a kubuntu 11.04 disk on my mac, and it is readable on other computers, but it reads as blank for me... which is strange... Because I have an old ubuntu 10.10 disk, and my laptop can read that fine.. even boot into it.

At any rate, I've discovered that I should technically be able to boot my macbook into target disk mode. For those who don't know, that pretty much makes my harddrive become an external firewire harddrive. Of all the laptops I have access to (friend's), it seems like only other macs have firewire 800 ports. So I borrow a friends laptop, and all we had at the time was a 11.04 ubuntu disk, so I decided to use that. A linux is better than no linux... Now that I have a confirmed working copy of kubuntu 11.04, i've decided to convert over to that using the same method, but with a different macbook. Boots fine, blah blah, but when it comes to installation, my harddrive does not appear on the device list as it has before. I assume the problem is with kubuntu not coming with proper drivers to macbook firewire? I dont see that that would be the case though, since ubuntu does, and kubuntu is just a build of ubuntu right? Or am I misinformed?

Anyways, any help is much appreciate. Please let me know if I lack in any details.

Thanks!
Working...
X