This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FIXED: Kubuntu 11.04 WiFi Setup Problems

Still trying to get WiFi to work on my Dell Mini 9 running Kubuntu 11.04 from a USB stick.

Unable to activate the Broadcom driver which shows up under "Additional Drivers" under System Settings -- I get the error message, "Binary Package BCMWL-kernel-source has no trusted origin, rejecting".

I then tried to get an open source driver with, "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer", but I got an error message saying, "Unable to locate package".

My hardware is in fine shape, as Windows 7 Ultimate on the SSD gives me flawless WiFi access.

Pretty frustrated with Natty -- any suggestions?

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 WiFi Setup Problems

I read on http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43 :

"The Broadcom wireless chip needs proprietary software (called "firmware") that runs on the wireless chip itself to work properly. This firmware is copyrighted by Broadcom and must be extracted from Broadcom's proprietary drivers. To get such firmware on your system, you must download the driver from a legal distribution point, extract it, and install it. This is accomplished different ways by different Linux distributions, so please read the section for yours for the best results. You will need an alternate working internet connection (by Ethernet cable, for example) since the firmware cannot be included with the distro itself. "

Since this firmware is meant to be loaded onto the wireless chip, will it screw up my working Win 7 wireless installation?

Comment

Re: FIXED: Kubuntu 11.04 WiFi Setup Problems

Problem evidently was a software bug in Natty (11.04). Fixed by going to Ubuntu 11.10 beta.

Comment

Working...
      X