X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help!!!! How do I install?!

Yo,

My friend has just given me a copy of kubuntu, and i would like to know how to install it..

I am currently, running on windows and would not like to lose windows..

How do I, Install and partition windows and linux... Without losing setting.

Thanks, JJosh.

The version is 6.06 also.

Re: Need help!!!! How do I install?!

Kubuntu can coexist with windoze. The question really is can windoze co exist with Kubuntu?

How to do a Dual Boot Installation:

1) In windoze, use a partition manager like Partition Magic(tm) to free up 10 or 15 GB of space on your hard drive, but don't bother to format it, The Kubuntu installer will do that for you.

2) Make sure that your BIOS is set to boot first from your CDROM.

3) Insert the Kubuntu Desktop CD-ROM in your drive.

4) Reboot

5)Click on "Install or Test Kubuntu" (I don't remember the exact wording since I did this over six weeks ago.)

6)When Kubuntu comes up, click on Install Kubuntu. Kubuntu will recognize your Windoze partitions and will not harm them.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the help... But before you messaged, I got bored.. And HAD to try something.. SO i got up to the 5/6 setup on the installtion on the live version of kubuntu.

I am having trouble partitioning seeing as i dont want to erase all my windows documents.

PS: I'm stuck on which option to choose.

Kind Regards, Josh.

Comment

Originally posted by Super josh39
        Ok, thanks for the help... But before you messaged, I got bored.. And HAD to try something.. SO i got up to the 5/6 setup on the installtion on the live version of kubuntu.

I am having trouble partitioning seeing as i dont want to erase all my windows documents.

PS: I'm stuck on which option to choose.

Kind Regards, Josh.
        Also, what firewall etc, and my graphics card programs... Will they already be setup? Seeing as the internet connects straight away with the live version

Comment

Firewall isn't automatically configured, but (k)ubuntu does not (by default) listen to non-local ports so they are all closed. If you decide you need one (to hide your computer or to protect servers you set up) it's very easy with GUI tools like guarddog or firestarter.

Comment

When i partion, what size shall i take out?

Comment

Try this How-to

http://www.linuxloader.com/modules.p...howpage&pid=28

PDR60

Comment

@PDR60: That's a great site. Now I know what the OP was talking about!

@Josh: Use the space that you cleared in your windoze partition. i.e. 10 GB, if you followed my earlier advice. Keep 512 MB to 1 GB for swap. Give everything else to \ (root). There are fancier ways to partition Linux, but you don't know enough to use them.

Comment

I took 19 gig, out, and i don#t know how to, put kubuntu, onto that partition.

Comment

Ok I got to the 6/6 step.

Partioning
                    -------------

if you continue the changes listed below will be written to the disk.

Otherwise you will be able to make further changes manually.

WARNING\
                    ------------/

This will destroy, all data on any partitions you have removed as well, as on the partions that are going to be permanent.

The following devices are going to be formatted.

Partition #2 /dev hda1 as ext3

Partition #5 /devhda as a swap..

Could someone tell me if i click install I'll be good, or will i reformatt all drives?

---------

EG WIPE WINDOWS

--------------------------
                    Not what I want to do.

Comment

Unless partitions 2 and 5 are currently windows data partitions, you are OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X