X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flawed Install of Google Earth (noob)

Kubuntu 11.04 amd64
    Toshiba Laptop

I installed Google Earth via the Medibuntu repository method. I am not sure if I add the repo correctly. I followed this tutorial thinking it was relevent, correct and that I could easily follow it: http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2010/0...-ubuntu-10-04/

The resulting install is crappy and incomplete. For example, The text in the sidebar of Google Earth is very "choppy", "gritty", just crappy. In the main window of Google Earth, no globe is present. Also in the main window the Menu Bar is grayed-out and inaccessible.

How can I diagnose the problem, and then fix it?

I am a noob so I still take baby steps.

Thanks!

Re: Flawed Install of Google Earth (noob)

Uninstall what you installed. You should be able to locate Google Earth in KPackageKit and mark it for removal. Then, follow the procedure at Re: Google Earth Fonts VERY Ugly
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog.

I followed your instructions and those on the site to which you referenced.

On the last command that I was required to enter per those instructions, I get this result:

bhakta@Krishna-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install google-earth-stable lsb-core ia32-libs
      [sudo] password for bhakta:
      E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
      E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Comment

Close KPackageKit before issuing sudo apt- commands from the console.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yea, the KpackageKit was closed.

Comment

When attempted in gui, I got this:

Cannot get the exclusive lock on the packaging backend.
            Please close any other legacy packaging tools that may be open.
            Details:
            E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (Resource temporarily unavailable)
            E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Comment

For my 11.04 system, I previously tried following the procedures for the Google Earth package provided by the repositories and was unsuccessful. I ended up installing the deb package provided by Google at http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html. Once downloaded I just clicked on the downloaded deb package, which in my case was google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb and this brought up the package manager and installed it. One thing you may need to check is that your display driver is capable of handling the 3D requirements of Google Earth.

I have also followed the same procedure for a 32B computer that I have to test Kubuntu 11.10 and it also works well for that system using the 32B Google Earth deb file.

Comment

Working...
              X