This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64 bit upgrade?

Is it possible to upgrade Kubuntu to the 64 bit version without re-installing? I have 8 GB of RAM. I understand that the 32 bit version can only use about 3.

Re: 64 bit upgrade?

No, sorry. 64-bit is really a "different-grade", not "upgrade", and requires a new installation. Sorry.

Comment

You can copy your home directory to a back up and copy it back to your new install. That will preserve all of you personal settings.

Comment

I have 8 GB of RAM. I understand that the 32 bit version can only use about 3.
        This is true in Linux and Windows, but not entirely.

Are you sure that you are not using 8GB RAM.

When you install Kubuntu/Ubuntu it detects the amount of RAM and installs a different kernel (generic-PAE) that can address (if I am not mistaken) up to 8GB.

I am using it on 4GB notebook and that is what happened when I installed it.

There is, also, a registry hack in Windows XP and newer that can unlock PAE (physical address extension).

Comment

Originally posted by mimosh
          When you install Kubuntu/Ubuntu it detects the amount of RAM and installs a different kernel (generic-PAE) that can address (if I am not mistaken) up to 8GB.
          True, but a PAE kernel can only allocate 3GB to any userspace process - which may or may not meet OP's needs.
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

The PAE approach is a fairly clunky way to manage memory above 3GB, and there's no good reason today to use it in preference to a 64-bit kernel. Per Linus Torvalds:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2007/11/15/423

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/900604

Comment

Working...
            X