X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Nvidia graphics card in kubuntu 11.04

Hi Guys,

I'm runnung Kubuntu11.04 os on intel mother board with i5 processor along with Nvidia 8400gs graphics card...

Currently the system is running based on board default graphics.

So I wanted to install the nvidia drivers on Kubuntu 11.04...but would n't able to find a correct steps for the same...

Please let me know how i need to install the nividia drives and what are the pre-cautionary/post steps has to be met for installing nvidia drivers...

Re: Installing Nvidia graphics card in kubuntu 11.04

K Menu > System > Additional Drivers. If the proprietary driver is available, it will be listed. Select it and install. That should be all you need to do.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you for helping me on this...

I have enabled the graphics driver as instructed .. however when i tried to change the resolution via nvidia-settings manager and save the chages by clicking save to x-configuration option .. i got the below error...

Unable to open X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for writing.

On checking further i found that the file was owned by root user... the nvidia-settings manager never prompted for authorization while clicking on save to x-configuration file option...

Also i'm not able to invoke nividia-settings manager as sudo user from konsole...

home@home-localdomain:~$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
      Backed up file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' as '/etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup'
      New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Please advise me on this... Thanks

Comment

Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" with no quote marks

Leave the refresh rate set to "Auto".

Comment

Thank you for helping me on this...

I'm getting the same error again even followed your instructions ...

Unable to open X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for writing.

Please advise me like if i need to change the file permission xorg.conf to fix this issue ....Also please confirm if there are any impact in changing the file permission of the xorg.conf file...

Comment

The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf is a system file, so it has root ownership. When you tried to run nvidia-settings as a user, it is expected that it will not be able to write changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, because a user cannot overwrite a file owned by root.

When you use "kdesudo nvidia-settings", and give the root password, then you are running nvidia-settings as root, and it is expected that you will be able to save changes to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

So, something is wrong with the way you are running nvidia-settings, or possibly you don't have an xorg.conf file. When you press Alt-F2, do you get the krunner window at the top of your screen? When you enter "kdesudo nvidia-settings", does it pop up a window asking for the root password? If you use Dolphin and look in the directory /etc/X11, do you see a file named xorg.conf?

Comment

I'm able to see the file under /etc/X11...

home@myworld:~$ ls -ltr /etc/X11/xorg.conf
              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 83 2011-09-05 18:05 /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Also when i enter kdesudo nvidia-settings in krunner .. it's prompting for Administrative password .. and opens the nvidia-settings manager window after entering the password ...

But when i try to save the x-configuration file .. i'm getting the same error.

Comment

Open a konsole terminal and backup the existing xorg.conf file:

Code:
                sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bak6sep11
                Then issue this:

Code:
                sudo nvidia-xconfig
                which should write a new xorg.conf file for you. Then try again Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and change your resolution, and save it.

Comment

I have tried your instructions but would not able to get rid of the issue ....

home@myworld:~$ sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf_bak6sep11_1
                  home@myworld:~$ sudo nvidia-xconfig

WARNING: Unable to locate/open X configuration file.

sh: pkg-config: not found
                  New X configuration file written to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'

home@myworld:~$ ls -ltr /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                  -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1339 2011-09-07 20:18 /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                  home@myworld:~$ sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf

After this when tried Alt-F2 "kdesudo nvidia-settings" and changed my resolution, and clicked save...it results in same error...

However i'm able to do vi on xorg.conf file as sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...

Comment

Hmmmmmm.

Let's do an experiment, designed to check "kdesudo". Alt-F2 "kdesudo kate", and give the password. In your new kate file, put in a few characters -- doesn't matter what. Now "File > Save" and save it in /etc/X11. Give it any non-significant name, like "123.txt". Does it save?

Comment

Yes i'm able to save a txt file in /etc/X11 location via kdesudo kate app...and able to update the file too...

Comment

OK, then, it seems there's some problem with the nvidia-settings package. I don't ever recall hearing of this kind of problem with it, so all I can suggest (with not a lot of confidence) is to remove it and reinstall it.

Code:
                        sudo apt-get purge nvidia-settings
                        Code:
                        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings
                        And then try again with kdesudo. I'll cross my fingers ....

Comment

I'm getting the same error this time too ...

Comment

I even tried un-installing and re-installation of nvivdia driver ... but still i get the same error

Comment

This time i have tried to invoke nvidia-settings manager via konsole and when i tried to save the file ... the nividia-settings manager indicates as "Unable to open X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for writing."

And i got the below output in the konsole window...

home@myworld:~$ kdesudo nvidia-settings
                              QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
                              QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/home/.config/ibus/bus
                              Traceback (most recent call last):
                              File "/usr/share/screen-resolution-extra/nvidia-polkit.py", line 20, in <module>
                              import gtk, gobject, sys, dbus, logging, os, re
                              ImportError: No module named gtk

ERROR: Unable to open X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' for writing.

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
                              Device section "Default Device" must have a Driver line.

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
                              Device section "Default Device" must have a Driver line.

Can you please help me with this...Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X