Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VLC Player opens with spacializer engaged; how do I disable it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC Player opens with spacializer engaged; how do I disable it.

I have :Pa post in the VLC forums that goes unanswered. After recent updates were installed, the spacializer is engaged when the package is open. The special effects produced by this feature make vocals difficult to understand, unless the volume is so loud my neighbors can also hear the video. I could not find a selection in configuration that would correct the problem. TIA any of you special guru's who can fix this kind of stuff. :P

Re: VLC Player opens with spacializer engaged; how do I disable it.

In VLC, click on Tools>Preferences. Down at the bottom of the window that opens check the "All" button. Click on Audio>Filters. Make sure the Audio Spatilizer button in unchecked. Be sure and check the Save button at the bottom of the page.

Comment

Dear Floyd,

I don't seem to have a tools option. I cannot even click on help to find the version of VLC I have installed. It is the application contained in my Kubuntu Natty 64bit package manager. I do find a 'preferences' option in Interface Settings, however, there is no tools option there either.

Audio Settings does not include any option relating to a Spatializer.

By right-clicking on the window of a movie in play, I can get the option for 'Interface>Affects and Filters>Spatializer. I can un-check the 'Enable Spatializer' option and disable the special effect, however, the next time I play a movie, I have to repeat the process, because Enable spatializer is automatically ticked when opening a movie. This is the feature I would like unchecked as default.

My version of VLC player is probably the most recent version supplied through the kubuntu repository. It does not have a menu panel which includes 'help', where the 'about' choice would tell me the version, as is in most applications.

Kubuntu Natty, KDE 4.6.2 64bit

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

I would at this point suggest the following;

In a terminal
        Code:
        sudo apt-get purge vlc
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install vlc
        And we will see if that fixes the problem.

Comment

While I was using VLC today, it suddenly occurred to me why you don't have the menu options. You are running in full screen mode. Open VLC and press F11 to take it out of full screen mode and your menu will appear at the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
            While I was using VLC today, it suddenly occurred to me why you don't have the menu options. You are running in full screen mode. Open VLC and press F11 to take it out of full screen mode and your menu will appear at the top.
            Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

Recently and for nothing I did to correct the problem, the problem resolved itself.

I tried your recommendation in this message, but after pressing F11, VLC remained in fullscreen mode. I then clicked on the Video option and unchecked the 'fullscreen' option, but no menu appeared then either. I hate leaving the post unresolved without repair that helps others, however, I am stumped at what I can do to share in a conclusion.

I looked in the package manager to see if I could find the version of VLC; this is what i found: vlc 1.1.9-ubuntu1.1.1.9-1 as the latest version.

It would probably be best to remove the post altogether, but I don't know how to do that.

In any event, thank you and the others for your help in the matter. Perhaps my vlc application was repaired in an update.

Comment

Working...
            X