X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet/network help

Hello my fellow Linux users.

I have just installed Kubuntu but cant get my Zoom 5610 USB ADSL modem to work with it.
    Can i setup a connection to the net through my Winblows-XP laptop using a crossover cable to connect the two computers or would it be easier to get a router? Any help and/or howtos would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Luke_UK

Re: Internet/network help

Hi here is a link that may help.

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

Hope you find what you are looking for, If you connect in the way you describe I think you will have to install a linux to windoz bridge on the windoz box, I am afraid that I do not know what you may have to do at the Linux end. Hopefully you will find an answer in the guide or get a better answer here.

Regards John

Comment

Re: Internet/network help

The technique you're contemplating will be non-trivial. You'll probably wind up knowing more than you ever wanted to about serial connections (fairly useless nowadays) and M$ networking.

The easy way is to get a router and leave the hard work to the experts. Personally, I use a Linksys BEFSR41 cable/DSL router. Linksys is now owned by Cisco, but I haven't noticed the quality of the support declining so I think that it's probably still a safe buy.

Comment

Working...
      X