X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot activate/use root account

Hello all..
    I hv installed Kubuntu 11.04 and hv started reading abt installation of software packages. The book which I'm referring to instructs to place the compressed tar.gz file under /usr/local/src. When I try to copy anything to this location, access is denied. I understand that modifications in this directory requires 'root' user privileges. Now i've been learning about 'sudo' and how it is implemented to be used for administrative actions. Unfortunately somehow i haven't been able to figure out yet how to use it or any other tool to allow me to use the GUI (dolphin) and drag-n-drop the installation package under the specified directory, the way i'd be able to do it if i had logged in as 'root'.
    So i did a little digging and decided to activate the root account (although it has been highly discouraged) by typing...
    sudo passwd root
    ...and then assigning a password
    All seems to go well but when i try to logout and login again as 'root' it displays a shiny message window saying 'Root logins are not allowed' at the login screen..
    Help?

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1GB DDR3
    500GB HDD
    Kubuntu 11.04 64-bit dual-booting with W7 64-bit through Wubi
    Attached Files

Re: Cannot activate/use root account

I've run Kubuntu for years and have never had to log on as root.

To run a graphical application as root all you need to do is

kdesudo program_name

so if you wanted to run dolphin under a root login all you'd is either open a terminal window or hit Alt+F2 and type

kdesudo dolphin /path/to/directory

The path is optional. I have a launcher on my panel that just runs

kdesudo dolphin /

Hope this helps -

edit: Also, if you're not familiar with root access in *buntu maybe it wouldn't be a real great idea to compile a program from source yet. Are you sure your program's not available in *buntu's software repositories?
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

first ......why not just use some of the 33,562 packages available from your package manager built for your system?

second ........if you nead a root dolphin just press alt+F2 and type
      Code:
      kdesudo dolphin
      in the box that pops up.

and if you must compile your own .......you will nead to install the "build-essential" package.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

If you want to enable the root, which I did - but I must admit I never have to log in as root, all you have to do is edit /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc the line AllowRootLogin=false to AllowRootLogin=true
        Of course you need to be root to edit this file, either press alt F2 or open a terminal and type kdesudo kate - open and edit the kdmrc file, save and close.

Next, you can use kuser to edit the password for root. I strongly suggest a very strong password.
        You can now log in as root. Which everyone strongly discourages.

Hope this helps you.

Comment

While Debian purist crowd look down their noses at the *buntu use of "sudo" in lieu of a root account, I personally think it is a brilliant security move. Think about it -- every Linux and Unix and BSD system in the world has one known user against whom an attack can be launched -- root. EXCEPT *BUNTU!

So, if you leave the root account disabled, and choose an uncommon user name plus reasonably complex password, the chance of a hacker logging in to your *buntu system is closely approaching zero.

I'd advise leaving your system as designed, with no root login allowed.

Comment

OR you could add the rog131 ppa, and install the kde-service-menu-rootactions package. Then, when you right-click an item in dolphin, this will give you a "Root Actions" choice.

I don't know if this ppa is being actively maintained at this point, the info is here:
            https://launchpad.net/~samrog131/+archive/ppa

Maybe there is a newer version.

Edit: One other thing -- if you really want a root terminal, run
            kdesudo konsole
            and you got it.
            We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

THANK YOU ALL!
              kdesudo dolphin was all i needed to do!
              I read abt the /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc mod later but since the simple kdesudo dolphin served my purpose, i'm gonna change my mind and not activate root at the moment

Please excuse my ignorance, its just been days since i've started using Kubuntu and i don't know much. I'v been an avid Windows user for years and i'm used to its ways. I've recently started my career into developing RTOS and embedded systems, and want to explore the world of embedded Linux. Since last week I've been running Kubuntu and openSUSE on two of my notebooks and i am already very impressed!!! Thanks to support from GUYS LIKE YOU i can hope i'll learn at a good pace...

I have downloaded flashplayer11_b2_install_lin_64_080811.tar.gz and wish to build/compile it. Its just an exercise to get me started on the ways of installation..

Oh one little thing: how do you add an image/text at the bottom of each of ur post??

Comment

Profile> Forum Profile Information> scroll down to Signature.

The fancier "sigs" use BBC code and images hosted on the net, like mine from my Flikr account...

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks. I have also come across a similar question. This is a very good forum for finding technical answers.

Comment

Working...
                  X