Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could I change a /dev/sda1 to a /dev/sdb1 or sdc1 at will?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How could I change a /dev/sda1 to a /dev/sdb1 or sdc1 at will?

I'm asking you for help because I have now 2 hdd's with the label or designation or whatchamacallit /dev/sda1 (and sda5 and so on for the rest of the partitions on those hdd's) and obviously I won't be able to mount them at the same time because the system would never work properly under such a weird environment or weird conditions. So what can I do in order to fix this without formatting any of the hdd's?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: How could I change a /dev/sda1 to a /dev/sdb1 or sdc1 at will?

post the output of
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    thats a small L

so we can see this.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: How could I change a /dev/sda1 to a /dev/sdb1 or sdc1 at will?

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do that's a problem.

Are you talking about internal drives, or external USB drives?
      Normally, for internal drives, they are mounted according to UUID, so there is never a problem with what /dev assigns to them. That is how the are entered in /etc/fstab by the installer. If you want to add a second internal drive, then you will want to edit your fstab so that the new drive (actually, its partitions) are mounted using UUID. You can see the UUID numbers for each partition with sudo blkid.

That being said, I have 3 internal hds, and they are always mounted in the same order. I sue that fact in setting up a custom grub menu, so I can quickly boot the latest kernels on each of my systems. Hasn't flinched yet.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
      X