X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what exactly do i need to do....

To get Steam up and running.
    I read this:

Steam is compatible with newest Wine layer, and most games operate correctly, although some run slow and require external libraries.
    I got Wine installed, but know nothing else. I need to know how to install Steam and where to get those external libraries i read about. Basically anything and everything i need to do to get it running as good as it can get.

i''m aware it wont be perfect, i just want to check it out.
    thanks.

Re: So what exactly do i need to do....

basically you download the steam client and double click it

But be forewarned that though it can work well, the steam gui often has little glitches, and not all games work. Half-life and half-life2 (and games bases on it) do run, but often need tweaks.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
      and not all games work. Half-life and half-life2 (and games bases on it) do run, but often need tweaks.
      thats what i'm talking about..what kind of tweaks. how do i even begin to tweak WINE. i installed wine but no i can't get anything to install. But i also know nothing of how to work Wine other than check it in the software center to install.
      I want to know what all i should download and how to tweak it and where to get more info on such.

Comment

winwhq has a database of working programs that include vast amounts of info in each one's comments.

You don't normally tweak wine itself. But for the most part, either wine works for some applications (usually the popular ones get all the effort) or it doesn't. But for some games, such as half-life2 that have their own set of tweaks, thaty is where you fiddle with things

imho and a few years of fighting with it, it often isn't worth the effort

But the best way to discover any info is simply to web-search for "wine <application name> ubuntu" if Wine's application database doesn't provide what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh

imho and a few years of fighting with it, it often isn't worth the effort
          Same experience here. If you actually need a working Windows (and I do), a VM is the only way to go, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
          X