Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RESOLVED Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack Installati

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RESOLVED Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack Installati

Error message, "This item is not supported by your backend, or it is not a file.

I have installed VirtualBox-4.1 on my Kubuntu Natty 64bit OS. To be able to get USB support, I must install the Extension Pack. It will not install due to the above error message.

When I downloaded the file, GDebbi was offered as the installer, however, it did not work for the above reason. I tried kpackagekit in vain, attempted command line with the following result:

steven@yeshuah:~$ sudo apt-get install _VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack
    [sudo] password for steven:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package _VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex '_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack'
    steven@yeshuah:~$

Any help, thanks!

Re: Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack Installation prob

If you've downloaded the extension pack from the virtualbox site, you should be able to left-click on it and then virtualbox itself should fire up and offer to install the extension pack. If that doesn't work, fire up virtualbox and you should be able to install the extension pack from there.

Regards .....
    Kubuntu User #9802
    Linux Registered User #357086

Comment

Re: Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack Installation prob

Dear Martin,

How do I open it using VirtualBox? I have screwed up so many times and had to re-install my system due to my lack of understanding, I am apprehensive trying to do anything when I am not absolute sure of myself. I have the Extension pack in my download folder. When I click on the package, one of the suggestions provided by my system is to open using VB. I don't have experience with VB yet; how do I use VB to install the EPack? Do I first use the Wizard and install an OS, then use the OS to install the EPack? So far, each time I have attempted opening EPack using a package manager or the konsole, I have been unsuccessful. If you are willing, please give me a little more of the basics? Sorry to be so stupid, and thanks for your patience.

Comment

Sorry for the delay in replying but we seem to be in different timezones.
        OK, here's a step by step guide:

[1] Navigate to where the extension pack is located
        [2] Right-click on it
        [3] Click on Open with Oracle VM VirtualBox
        [4] At this point, VirtualBox should fire up and put a VirtualBox-Question dialogue in front of you
        [5] Read what it says and if you're happy with it, click the Install button
        [6] Page down to the end of the license agreement and click the I Agree button
        [7] Enter your user password in the Password field and click the OK button
        [8] After a few seconds, the VirtualBox-Information dialogue should appear informing you that the installation was successfull
        [9] Click the OK button

That concludes the extension pack installation but before closing VirtualBox, go to File -> Preferences -> Extensions just to make absolutely sure that the extension pack is installed and enabled. You should see the name of the extension pack, the version number and a tick in the checkbox to the far left-hand side indicating that it's enabled.

That's it, job done!

Regards .....
        Kubuntu User #9802

Comment

Originally posted by bitzbox
          Sorry for the delay in replying but we seem to be in different timezones.
          OK, here's a step by step guide:

[1] Navigate to where the extension pack is located
          [2] Right-click on it
          [3] Click on Open with Oracle VM VirtualBox
          [4] At this point, VirtualBox should fire up and put a VirtualBox-Question dialogue in front of you
          [5] Read what it says and if you're happy with it, click the Install button
          [6] Page down to the end of the license agreement and click the I Agree button
          [7] Enter your user password in the Password field and click the OK button
          [8] After a few seconds, the VirtualBox-Information dialogue should appear informing you that the installation was successfull
          [9] Click the OK button

That concludes the extension pack installation but before closing VirtualBox, go to File -> Preferences -> Extensions just to make absolutely sure that the extension pack is installed and enabled. You should see the name of the extension pack, the version number and a tick in the checkbox to the far left-hand side indicating that it's enabled.

That's it, job done!

Regards .....
          Thanks friend.

Comment

Re: RESOLVED Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack Installati

I did not have any problems with the extension pack, but the "Guest Additions" gave me problems. After installing the "Guest Additions" I attempted to reboot and XP Pro would give me a blue screen that popped up and disappeared so fast I could not determine what it said, the it would boot to the safe mode menu. I could not boot normally, or to safe mode. I could only boot to the last known good configuration. And it said "Guest Additions" was not installed. I tried about three times to get it to work with no success. So I opened up Device Manager to see if any of the drivers were loaded and I immediately saw the yellow question mark over the video adapter. So I chose to install a new driver, and sure enough, the latest driver supplied by Guest Additions was listed. After manually installing this driver I rebooted and everything worked fine. And Guest Additions is now installed. So there must be a glitch in the installer, at least on my system. But it's working now, so if anyone has a problem installing Guest Additions try checking the Device Manager.

Comment

Re: RESOLVED Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.1.0-73009.vbox-extpack Installati

From past experiences with running Windows guests on Linux hosts, I've always found that the Guest Additions don't actually install the first time around. The trick is to mount the Guest Additions, wait 60 seconds and if the installer doesn't appear (which it usually doesn't), reboot the virtual machine and try again. This method has almost invariably worked for me.

Regards .....
              Kubuntu User #9802

Comment

I did not have a problem with the installer appearing, it appeared and seemed to run just fine. But when I rebooted was when I had a problem.

Comment

A new version of VirtualBox was released today -- 4.1.2, along with an updated Guest Additions. Try updating what you have.

Comment

Yes, today's updates seem to have fixed the problem with Guest Additions.

Comment

Working...
                    X