Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a Newbie here but have been using Ubuntu for about 2 Years, However...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a Newbie here but have been using Ubuntu for about 2 Years, However...

Hello Everyone, I have decided to check out Kubuntu during this month of August 2011 prior to building my first new computer. I have been using Ubuntu for about 2 years now and I am running the 11.04 release of that while currently downloading the 11.04 x32 of Kubuntu as I write this request for help.
    My current system is an old 2001 Compaq with an Athlon XP CPU @ or about 1.34 GHZ and 1 Gig of Ram. I use an old Samsung SyncMaster 955DF CRT monitor and can not really recall the the GPU but I think you get the idea. I need to know if the Kubuntu-11.04-desktop-i386.iso will allow for a similar install with dual boot via GRUB2 as the Ubuntu does. I',m not looking to run this longer that 1 1/2-2 months on this system. So this system is not a long range concern.
    As stated above I will be building a new system in early Sept. 2011. I want to check out Kubuntu first though so I can make an informed choice about what will be my 'host' OS on the new system. I will be building the new system with a 64-bit Host and using Virtual Box to allow for 64 and 32 bit guest. I will be filling out my profile during the next few days so my sig. will reflect my new system spec's.
    I guess the simple issue for me is will I use U or K as a 64-bit host, the info about KDE makes it attractive and it has been suggested to me on other Forums to check out KDE for my future plans which include CAD and Electrical/ Electromechanical CAD applications.
    Thank you for taking the time to read through this and Thx in advance for any and all help. wanderingarcticfox 8)
    Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Re: I'm a Newbie here but have been using Ubuntu for about 2 Years, However...

I may be wrong, but I would assume you can just install both, the KDE/kubuntu-desktop package and the gnome- or unity-desktop package, and at login you should be able to choose which desktop environment to log in to.
    I don't have Gnome or Unity, but I have KDE and IceWM installed and that's how it works - just install the other desktop environment/window manager through your package manager, log out and into the new one...
    I hope this helps...
    Chopstick

Comment

Hey Chopstick; thanks for quick 'back at-ya'; I will try that tomorrow if no other new replies. I am more interested in having Kubuntu as a totally separate OS though. I might be misunderstanding it all though that's why I posted in the newbie section. But thanks for the get-back. Who knows, but this Forum might be a major factor in my decision of the Host OS 8)
      Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3: ATI Fire-Pro V4800; Phenom II X4 970 3.5 Ghz; G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 4 x 4GB; WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB;CM 690 case w/9 fans and 6-switch rheobus plus 2 optical drives [ROM & RW]

Comment

Originally posted by Chopstick
        I may be wrong, but I would assume you can just install both, the KDE/kubuntu-desktop package and the gnome- or unity-desktop package, and at login you should be able to choose which desktop environment to log in to.
        I don't have Gnome or Unity, but I have KDE and IceWM installed and that's how it works - just install the other desktop environment/window manager through your package manager, log out and into the new one...
        I hope this helps...
        Chopstick
        you can do this .....but you will have a mix of KDE and Gnome stuff and configs .......and some times with these 2 that will cause ...Quirks

I would do as you posted.......a dual boot to get the clean install feel.

now the newer installers (10.10 up I think ) wont let you not install grub. So eather have your new install put grub on the install partition (and Chane lode through the current grub on the MBR) or let it over right the current one and take over the booting.

O and welcome to KFN
        lots of nice people hear and the regulars are very helpful and knowledgeable.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hey welcome to the forums

as a complete linux newb I have to say that these forums are excellent, helpful and friendly advise, for all levels of experience intersperced in the replies.

If a good forum is a major factor... you're search has ended enjoy Kubuntu
          To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

I have know many people who prefer to keep their system close in function and appearance to their Windows counterpart. Many times, they don't take the time to learn how to operate Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Nevertheless, I use Kubuntu because of the changes. If you use them for a month, you will find yourself becoming just as familiar with the new desktop as you were with Windows or Ubuntu. It is just a matter of getting used to the new system.

Once you use Kubuntu, the KDE desktop seems to be faster and easier to use.

If you are not used to configuring everything, it can seem a bit daunting. I would be willing to help you with configuration, when you are ready.

If you are not used to configuring partitions on your hard drive(s), I would think this the most important thing to understand prior to installing your new system. It will help you to be able to find the things you have stored in your system, locate them in a manner that allows your data to be unaffected should you at some time want to install a different Operating System without negatively affecting your saved information, and finally make your computer easy to use, at times when you need help from other users in the forums.

The 'Plasmoid' features and 'Desktop Effects' are benefits of Kubuntu that you will certainly enjoy. They are probably different from what you are used to using (I am guessing, because you mentioned your current computer, and that system would probably not be able to take advantage of their features - too-old and hardware incapable, however, if your new system includes a fast operating system and lots of RAM, you will want to take advantage of plasmoids and desktop effects.)

If this is the case, you will want to have a pretty good video card with OpenGL included. Memory, processors, and GPU's + the faster SATA III drives are very cheap right now, so if you intend a faster machine, those are more important as considerations prior to purchasing your new components than even your new Operating System. Additionally, USB3 is better and backward compatible with USB2.

If you are a video game player, most of the components you choose will have all the features necessary for what I have suggested. I am not a video game player, but I am heavy in video and graphics, so I require a fast machine too.

Here is what I would recommend in the way of what may be important to do first:
            1. Purchase a quality (not necessarily most expensive) Motherboard.
            Have it include sufficient memory capability at the faster speeds. (Most users desire speed, so
            faster memory will be cheaper, due to demand and volume selling). Nothing less than 8gb. Express
            technology will be needed for a good video card. SATA III and USB3 are much better and will keep
            you current with technology changes longer.
            2. Processor should be faster single, but dual or quad or even 6 core processors are better.
            Motherboard has to be able to handle the processor you choose.
            3. Video card: 1gb GDDR5 is a good choice. nVidia or ATI chipset. (If you purchase an AMD
            processor, the ATI graphics card may be a better choice; AMD owns ATI.
            4. SATA III HDD's and solid state are becoming the norm, so at least get SATA III. A second
            SATA III would be a good drive to contain backups.
            5. Any Motherboard that handles a faster CPU and SATA III will have USB III too.
            6. DVDRW and DVDROM for unit to unit copying.
            7. Download the most recent release of Kubuntu Natty 64bit just prior to installing.

If you need to talk back and forth, write me at shabakthanai@gmail.com. From there, I will give you another email address, which is more regularly attended. I can help you a lot.
            Write if you need help setting up your partitions (especially naming them, -very important-.)

Best of luck with your new system. If you are a video game enthusiast you may want to consider dual booting XP and Natty. Games are better served on Windows. If that is the case, install Windows first. That is also important. Although Windows does not make itself compatible with other Operating System, Kubuntu can read any file system, so anything you save on Windows, can be read and used on your Natty OS. This works well, because once you are used to Kubuntu, you will only use Windows to play video games. Windows forces itself to be in first boot position, and creates problems if you don't install in that manner. Kubuntu is flexible and will work where you put it just fine.

If you have never built a computer before, make sure you ground yourself to the case before you handle what is inside. Just a little static electricity can destroy a motherboard, and sometimes a processor, although, AMD processors have built-in safety features to protect against such things. I am sure Intel does too, however, I do not have experience there to advise you.

I hope the information is relevant to you. Judging from what you said, this + further communications could save you a lot of work getting things working smoothly and well. Good Luck.

Comment

Thank You for the detailed and informative reply Shabakthanai, I will send a note soon.
              I am planing on using a Gigabyte 990XA-UD3 mobo, Phenom II 970 cpu, WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB HDD and 16 GB of G. Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Ram. I have done a lot of research but yes this will be my first build therefore I have an anti-static mat and wrist-strap already on hand. More later.
              Thanks again for the reply Oh and an ATI Fire-Pro V4800 Workstation card. 8)

Comment

At about 7PM EST I'm going to boot to the CD and then report back tonight or tomorrow; wish me luck

Comment

I'm redirecting everyone to see my post in this section titled "Stumped on how to create Dual boot...";
                  Please look at that one for data and current situation. I do not want to tie up two threads asking the same stuff.
                  Thx

Comment

Working...
                  X