X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netflix

The Netflix app for Android is here:

https://market.android.com/details?i...ix.mediaclient

The Android OS can be installed into a Virtualbox (or QEMU or VMWare) virtual machine using the Android-i86 installer found here:

http://www.android-x86.org/documents/installhowto

---------------------------------------------------------------

The alternative is to install the 32-bit Linux Android SDK, which provides an emulator. This requires:

ia32-libs
    sun-java6-jdk

and the Linux Android SDK found here:
    http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Then the ADB is used to install apps:
    http://developer.android.com/guide/d...tools/adb.html

Canonical is reportedly working on a method to run Android apps without having to install a full Android environment, but they've been at it for about 2 years, so who knows.

Also, Google is allegedly coming out with an HTML5 Netflix app (which they will use for Chrome) soon.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Netflix in Wine

The bundled Windows-based Netflix app in a modified Wine / Mono environment put together by Erich Hoover as a package really works well:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Netflix

I wouldn't bother with the Android app.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

yes it dose ....been watching it for days now ,,,,,, in fact we are watching it now on the second monitor (a 37" VIZIO HD-TV)wile I type this

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I subscribe to Amazon Prime, I don't use NetFlix although- my blueray player can stream NetFlix, HuluPlus & Amazon Instant Video
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on my PC when the wife is sleeping.
          My blueray player has NetFlix, HuluPlus & Amazon Instant Video.
          But now with the change in flash player plugin for Chrome and Firefox you can no longer watch Amazon Prime.
          The only reason I subscribed to Amazon Prime was it worked in linux.
          Unless I am missing an updated plugin for Chrome and Firefox.

Comment

According to Amazon, Flash version 11.4 removed DRM and therefore will not play Amazon videos. Current version is 11.5 for most browsers and 11.2 for linux. Likely, 11.2 is too old and Amazon stopped supporting it. When I tried, I got "You must update flash..."

Irritating that they force the upgrade and then cancel the service at 11.4.

Please Read Me

Comment

OK so now VINNY has a problem ,,,,,,,LOL

some time in the past week netflix has started overheating my laptop , in fact it caused a thermal shut-down on the wife yesterday .
              what I see in top is plugin-contain (yes contain not container) using 100-130% CPU and the temp widget rather quickly climes to over 200 degrees F

it was playing just fine until the last few days .........any suggestions or ideas appreciated + any additional info will be supplied on request

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Do you Netflix applications have pauses in sound and video during a movie? Mine performs like the buffer cannot handle the stream. I still like and use the application, but it doesn't play at the same quality as when using a windows application. Additional, does the image fall short about 3mm on the right and 2mm on the bottom of the screen. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Shabakthanai View Post
                  Do you Netflix applications have pauses in sound and video during a movie? Mine performs like the buffer cannot handle the stream. I still like and use the application, but it doesn't play at the same quality as when using a windows application. Additional, does the image fall short about 3mm on the right and 2mm on the bottom of the screen. Thanks!
                  yes it stutters a little now and then , but that is to be expected it is a wine,silverlight,windows firefox hack after all .

I'm just looking for a cause and a way to reduce the plugin-contain from using so much CPU

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

so all this was happening in kernel-3.5.0.23 I boot back to 3.5.0.22 and it worked better ,,,, temps stayed at 176F to 186f and plugin-contain stayed jumping from 50 to 86% CPU (as displayed in top) any ideas?

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      According to Amazon, Flash version 11.4 removed DRM and therefore will not play Amazon videos. Current version is 11.5 for most browsers and 11.2 for linux. Likely, 11.2 is too old and Amazon stopped supporting it. When I tried, I got "You must update flash..."

Irritating that they force the upgrade and then cancel the service at 11.4.
                      I have never actually used my linux box to stream Amazon Video, since my mac is closer to my second TV (the HDMI cable will reach it) and my blue ray player will play Amazon and is on my main TV. My mac has Flash 11.5.502.149 and it still plays
                      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
                      X