This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realtek sound

having problems with sound not working i have realtek ive tried to install drivers for it and it still refuses to work please help me somebody

Re: realtek sound

I'd like to give this a <bump> (even though it is new) because I'm having the same problem. I have an ECS laptop with a Realtek ALC-880 HD sound system in.

I downloaded the drivers from Realtek, but I've been unable to get them to work. Worse still, they seem to have half un-installed the pre-existing sound library, making it a right mess in there. When I go to 'Sound' in the system settings menu, I have the following message;

'The specified library arts could not be found

libasound.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.'

I've made an RTF version of the output when I run './install' because it's quite long - it's here; www.mindfill.co.uk/realtek_output.rtf

(EDIT - for the sake of it, I tried running apt-get install build-essential, and then ran the install again - this time it churned out this instead - www.mindfill.co.uk/realtek_output2.rtf - this seems to have restored the libasound.so.2 file, but still doesn't seem to have installed the driver)

Also, and I don't want to hijack anything, but it seems to me that this could be caused by us not having certain packages installed (GCC or Make or something). Why aren't these packages installed as standard? More pertinently, is there a list of 'must-have' packages that will allow for easy installation of everything?

thanks,
    Richard

Comment

Re: realtek sound

The only reference to realtek sound I was able to find at the Ubuntu Community help site was this page about high definition audio. I doubt that this is what you're both looking for. Are you sure that you can't use the AC'97 compatible sound driver?

@trebizond: Kubuntu does not install the build-essential package by default because only a fraction of users would want or need to use it. I do resent the file description implying that it's required only for those who intend to build Debian style packages when, in fact, it's required for compiling almost anything. There is also a Kubuntu package for g77 and a newer package for gfortran which is F95. F77 is a subset. I'm going to go out and buy a Realtek something or other because I thought I was the last Fortran 77 coder in the world. Gotta keep that other guy employed!

Comment

Working...
      X