This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Diagnosing network slowdown

This isn't exactly a "beginner" question, but it as it applies to several os versions, including non-kubuntu, this seems like a good place to post it.

Over the last several days, I have noticed that my network connection has slowed to a crawl. What used to be around 180kb/s is now bouncing around 30-50kb/s.

This is happening on natty and oneiric, as well as on aptosid. Now all of these OS's are based on sid, and all have been updated, so it COULD be something that came down the pipe. It could also be a problem with the router or dsl modem -- both have been shut down and restarted several times. And it could be an isp problem. This is happening with apt-get as well as firefox. jnettop isn't showing anything unusual that might be hogging the connection.

Question is, what is the best approach to figuring out where the bottleneck is, given that I have no analyzer or other equipment?
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Diagnosing network slowdown

When I have this problem it is usually when I am using my wireless connections and the aweful wireless router that came from ATT (2WIRE) needs rebooting.

I rarely notice network slowdowns at home on the wired connections. Is that where yours is slowing down or is it on the wireless side?
    Thanks,

Craigbert
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Kubuntu 13.04
    8GB RAM & Intel Core i7 1.87GHz
    Registered Linux User 537624

Comment

Our broadband slowed a lot. We checked it with an online broadband speed checker. (Google that.) Wireless kept dropping out.

In the end we had to report it to our ISP. The telecom company came and checked things. The problem was a junction box outside. It had been raining a lot and the box was full of water...
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Could be. Been raining a lot here in NW WA; come to think of it, last week there was a major downpour, and that's about when this happened.

Will try the online broadband checker.
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Have you re-arranged anything near or relating to your cables and/or internet devices? Could be "noise".

Please Read Me

Comment

No, unless the cats chewed up something I haven't found yet. Phone works OK, and it's the same cable, so I'm guessing all is OK there, but I may just try a new cable.

Comment

Well...

I don't know if the cats are the real culprits or not, but trying a new cable from the router to the wall connection (in the next room) seems to have fixed the problem. So now it's a matter of re-routing cables I guess. Next time I'll check that first.

Edit: I had a surge protector installed in the dsl line, and that evidently has gone b/o.

Comment

Working...
              X