This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a silly question about newly installed programs

I just installed Kubuntu on my new laptop, and things are mostly going well.

One thing I have noted is that sometimes, newly installed programs don't show up in the applications menu.

For instance, I installed firefox, and it showed up fine under "Internet"

I also installed VLC - and it seems to not show up at all, anywhere, unless I open a command line and type it in.

Why would this be!

Re: I have a silly question about newly installed programs

Hm, strange. For me, it shows up in KMenu>Applications>Multimedia

If you type VLC into the search box in KMenu, does it come up?

If not, you can right-click on the KMenu and click "Edit Applications" then you can manually add an entry for VLC in the Multimedia section. The command you want to put in is "vlc".

Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

When I type in VLC in the "search" bar of the application menu, I get a gear labeled "Run VLC"

Edit: The edit applications method has another oddity: when I tried to save the new configuration, the computer told me it was Updating System Configuration, which took about 3 minutes to complete - only to start the status bar over. I waited 4 iterations before canceling.

Double Edits: I rebooted for unrelated reasons, and everything was normal when I started up again. Success!

Comment

Not all applications that are installed appear in the K Menu immediately. I personnally believe it's poor packaging, but I could be wrong. If an application, once installed, doesn't appear in the K Menu, a restart/reboot usually results in it appearing there.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sometimes a newly installed app does not appear in the menu, not sure why. Anyway, if you log out and back in, it should be there.

Comment

Snowhog and dtr, I find that you're both correct: just takes a quick restart to get things working fine. A minor nuisance, but not a deal breaker by any means.

Comment

rebooting never hurts. weird behavior with the kmenu editor, though.
              Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
              Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
              Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by rfakhrai
                rebooting never hurts.
                It can cause a huge problem if you reboot after a failed upgrade. Logging out and restarting the xserver will cure most of your problems.
                FKA: tanderson

Comment

Running 'kbuildsycoca4' should add "missing" .desktop files to the menu (logging out or rebooting should probably work, too), provided the application package has a proper .desktop menu item.

kbuildsycoca4 will read (among other things) available .desktop files and create a binary cache (/var/tmp/kde-$USER/ksycoca4) that kde (and kmenu) accesses to get the data.

Comment

Working...
                  X