Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 10.04 a huge bugfest or am I doing something wrong?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 10.04 a huge bugfest or am I doing something wrong?

I'm recently returning to linux again, so I decided to give Kubuntu a try. I got the 10,04, burned that and a gparted, and did the whole installation right, like always. When I got in the OS looked great, but things started to become pretty bad. Konqueror crashes about every 3-4 minutes (although I was using it a few weeks ago on another OS and it did fine), my headphones have connect/disconnect noises, but both media players refuse to play music for me in any format I have. I decided to get wine to open up some of the files I took with me on the move, and it wouldn't boot up at all, even after a clean installation. I also had issues getting the computer's settings where I wanted them without the OS saying it couldn't (even after I had added the features).

Anyways, all that's beside the point- just to show you the magnitude of my problems with the OS. My question is, does this much bugginess happen to you guys too, or does kubuntu just hate me? I feel like I got a lemon or something, maybe I should just delete the partition and try again with a fresh burn and install. What should I do?

Re: Is 10.04 a huge bugfest or am I doing something wrong?

Knowing about your PC and it's specifications would be a big help here. There is absolutely no way any meaningful help can be provided without this information.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I knew I was forgetting something:

not wubi, full install,
      KDE 4.4.5
      0.97-29ubuntu60

No other OS involved in our relationship. Cept for a borked virtual machine chrome OS (flow) installation, but that's not kubuntu's fault.

Desktop
      Intel, 64
      Nvidia, GT 250
      One internal @ ~500 GB, one external for moving stuffs.
      One internal

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        Knowing about your PC and it's specifications would be a big help here. There is absolutely no way any meaningful help can be provided without this information.
        Sorry about that, got no sleep last night. I read the sticky but immediately forgot about it the second I started typing up the thread.

I'm really hoping I'm just using some crappy shunned version of something or other that's causing problems somehow, I don't know why kubuntu wouldn't agree with me on such a level.

Comment

10.04 improves a lot by updating to the latest KDE version available for it https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports
          kde 4.5 is an improvement over the 4.4 that installs with Lucid. And even though it is an LTS, that unfortunately does not have much to do with having a stable desktop as the KDE version you run does. I'll bet the other distros are running newer KDE than your 15 month old Kubuntu version has .

but yes, sometimes a distro seems to hate someone. mandrake/mandriva used to regularly hate me, every second release actually, that is until each release was a problem for me

I recommend trying out 10.10 or 11.04 live sessions first. KDE 4.5 and 4.6 are way way way way way better than kde 4.4.x

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
            10.04 improves a lot by updating to the latest KDE version available for it https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports
            kde 4.5 is an improvement over the 4.4 that installs with Lucid. And even though it is an LTS, that unfortunately does not have much to do with having a stable desktop as the KDE version you run does. I'll bet the other distros are running newer KDE than your 15 month old Kubuntu version does .

but yes, sometimes a distro seems to hate someone. mandrake/mandriva used to regularly hate me, every second release actually, that is until each release was a problem for me

I recommend trying out 10.10 or 11.04 live sessions first. KDE 4.5 and 4.6 are way way way way way better than kde 4.4.x
            I've heard about the KDE versions, I might have better luck checking the other ones out. And yeah, kubuntu seems to hate me for the time being. It's quite a shame too, because I like it a lot :c

Comment

Working...
            X