X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

internet links often can't be opened.

Hi,

I often try to follow a link and Firefox tells me that the link has to be opened with another application. The choice I am then offered in the panel is only from things like documents, floppy disc, root, etc - nothing relevant to opening the link.

Could someone help please?

Re: internet links often can't be opened.

It would help if you told us what version of FireFox you were using, and give some examples of links that are giving your problems.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Sorry, can't be much help here, GreyGeek. I don't know what version of Firefox I'm using except that I only downloaded it from the repositories a couple of days ago. And I can't find an example at the moment.

A similar thing happens when I'm using Thunderbird, another new download. Just opened an email and can't connect to a sales pitch link - a small panel opens up which says
      'this link needs to be opened with an application. Send to...' then 'choose an applicaion'.

The choice is from my home directory which contains only 'search, recently used, my username, desktop, file system, and floppy0.'

This is no big deal and the only flaw in what seems to be a great distro.

Comment

While running FireFox you can click on the "Help" menu and select the "About Mozilla FireFox" from the popup that appears.

Show us the links that you are trying open.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Those are usually links to files that Firefox wants to know what app to use when opening them. While Firefox has a set of plugins that are often enabled to handle many different types of links (content types), sometimes they aren't, or sometimes plugins don't exist, and you must use an external application.

Go to

Firefox -> Edit -> Preferences -> Applications

and you will see the list of Applications that are currently set to be used by Firefox for opening certain types of files/links.

The left column shows the "Content type", which is what the links generally refer to.

The right column shows the application ("Action") currently set by Firefox to handle that Content Type. You can change the application by clicking on the "Action".

Note that for some Content Types the Action is a Firefox plugin and for others an external application is set. You can customize this to your own preference.

For example, a link to a .PDF file can be opened with Okular or perhaps another program. Firefox lets you choose.

Depending on your version of Firefox, Kubuntu (and your karmic position in the cosmos), you may be able to select your application as one from the Kubuntu menu. Otherwise, you may have to select a specific application by its absolute location. Most applications are found in a few places, but mostly in:

/usr/bin

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Many thanks, perspectoff. I'm amazed at how knowledgeable people like you are. I really appreciate your willingness to share what you know, too.

Best wishes,

fagus

Comment

Working...
            X