Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a reoccurring error in virtualbox installation.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: There is a reoccurring error in virtualbox installation.

I am unable to think straight right now. I got so confused and am trying to do the right thing, I have little confidence at the moment. I just tried to look for a package and was stopped with an error concerning what we are doing right now:

Could not open file /var/lib/dpkg/status - open (2: No such file or directory). How do I fix this? Thanks for your continued patience. I wish I had someone to talk with relating to this stuff sometime. Alone, I just get to overload sometimes. I am sorry.

Comment

Re: There is a reoccurring error in virtualbox installation.

First make sure the package "linux-headers" is installed.***

Make sure the package dkms is installed.***

go to this page and make sure you add the appropriate repo for your version of ubuntu and follow directions for the signing key.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

Try to do

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -f upgrade.
      ***If you ware still getting errors and can't get apt to do anything for you,

Do this, and it is a last-ditch effort to fix things:

In terminal

Code:
      kdesudo kate /var/lib/dpkg/status
      In that editor, use "search" and search for virtualbox

Delete it's referencing section, (the whole "paragraph" that gives details along with the package name)

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE, but kate will save a backup called 'status~' when you save the file.

Save it.

Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      Fingers crossed.

Now, install virtualbox from the repo. Since there is no reference to the offending package being installed, it should just overwrite the offending bits and pieces of the previous botched install.

I have done this before and have had it work when I cannot force an uninstall and cannot resolve an dpkg/apt-get issue where apt-get is disabled because of an impossible situation. I give you a 50/50.

Best wishes. I will track this topic and try to help out.

Comment

Working...
      X