Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 11.04 freeze after fresh install....!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 freeze after fresh install....!!

Hi all,

I just did a fresh install of Kubuntu with wubi. The install process looked fine and let me have dual boot OS after my computer restarted. My problem was after I entered Kubuntu, I could see the desktop but nothing else. There was no username or password window and menu bar. Just plain desktop.

It didn't react to any mouse or keyboard input. I then tried hit Alt+F2 to enter command window and typed **sudo killall Xorg**. It worked fine and entered Kubuntu, but after I restarted, everything was the same again. I looked up Google and tried to modified the openGl option to true but still not working. I really want to try Kubuntu and appreciate if anyone here could help me out. Thanks a lot!!!

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 freeze after fresh install....!!

I had a sometimes freeze problem with Kubuntu 11.04 on a dual boot system. It seems to have been solved by commenting out the ntfs drives in /etc/fstab. they can still be mounted by:
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sd[XX] /[mountpoint]
    [only superuser can edit /etc/fstab]

later I put the fstab mounts back in but qualified them with 'noauto'
    ie: ...
    # /windows was on /dev/sda3 during installation
    UUID=5C220688220666FC /windows ntfs defaults,noauto,umask=007,gid=46 0 0
    I've had no more freezes yet. the noauto isn't necessary but simplifies the mount command. If any of this is not clear, try googling fstab or open a terminal and check out: $man mount

OOPS!
    That was yesterday. Today the login froze when eth0 cable was not plugged in. That was the condition that existed the first time the event occurred. Too many disk checks by Windows 7 and Kubuntu 11.04 misled me. And refraining from ntfs mounts worked yesterday. Some coincidence no doubt. Immediately following a Windows session, no freezes have occurred, though eth0 wasn't plugged in. wlan0 works fine in all cases but Firefox is picky about net addresses [non DHCP] that weren't present at install. What's happening?

Comment

Working...
    X