X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Resolved] Kubuntu equivalent software for finding files on HDD

Hi

This is probably a popular question when new users first start to use Kubuntu or any linux distro in full time day to day use

Under windows I used to use a program called "Search Everything" which created its own index files of all and or specified NTFS HDD and then provided "Instant" find capabilities and by instant I mean that as you start to type the word you are searching for it is already filtering the results below

Is there a similar program available in Kubuntu

Thanks in advance...

Zeb...

PS yes I have tried to search the forums but when your search criteria is "search everything" or "File Finder" it's a bit difficult

Modified: OK DiskSearch found the files I was looking for (quickly) but then didn't allow me to do anything with them, so not a lot of use to be honest.

SearchMonkey is finding them but too slowly (yes I know I am fussy) so unless SearchMonkey can build an index to make it quicker, I am still looking

update 2 SearchMonkey finally found the files and then simply closed when I tried to do anything with it grrrr.

Soooooo.... Recoll is currently being tested

But please put me out of my misery if you know a good app that works
    To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Re: Kubuntu equivalent software for finding files on HDD

Open up the K menu, then, on the Computer tab, select System Settings. Click the icon for 'Desktop Search' in the 'Workspace Appearance and Behaviour' section. If the checkbox for 'Enable Strigi Desktop File Indexer' is not turned on, turn it on. In the File Indexing tab, select the folders you want indexed, then click the Apply button in the bottom-right corner of the window. Wait for Strigi to finish indexing your files. If you have a lot of files, this may take some time. You will be notified about its completion in the system notification area, or you can click the icon for file indexing there to check the current status. Once done, open the Dolphin file manager and in its menu bar select Settings, Toolbars Shown, Search Toolbar (i.e., make sure it is turned on). From then on, you can use the Search box in the top-right corner of the Dolphin window to search for your files.

As an alternative, you can also try Google Desktop for Linux - http://desktop.google.com/linux/.

There's also a program called locate/mlocate/slocate that you can use if you want to index and search files in text mode in true geek style. 8) But let me not confuse you with too many options (sorry I couldn't help myself :P ).

Hope this helps.
    http://saurav.celestarium.org/

Comment

ok saurav thanks,

I have turned all that on, lets see what happens

Zeb...
      To understand true frustration, one must only go so far as to install Linux!!! and then came Kubuntu and the World is at peace again

Comment

Yeah I have used the Strigi search and it's pretty good. Also don't forget the old "find" command in the terminal. That command is still solid as ever.

Code:
        sudo find / -name * -type f
        sudo find . -name * -type d
        It's old and cryptic but still cool.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies...

ok Recoll finally finished indexing and like search monkey it finds them real quick but no way of doing anything with them - like move or delete

will wait for system generic indexing to finish and then see what happens

I may need to get "Everything" working in Wine but I don't want to go down that route just yet

Zeb...

Comment

There's no need to go with Wine. If Strigi doesn't work for you, use Google Desktop for Linux.

Comment

If you want to do pre-indexed searching, which takes a while to make an index and takes disk space to store it, in addition to nepomuk/strigi there is also beagle. Be aware that any of these database type search tools take disk space and time to make an index, and will periodically update themselves, taking cpu slices while they do so.

On the other hand, if you want an on-the-fly search program that doesn't make an index or keep a database, then there are kfind and searchmonkey. And kfilereplace can be used to search for files, as well as replace strings (words, sentences, etc) within the files. Find is the classic text-based tool, as already mentioned, but figuring out how to use it effectively can be a walk through a minefield. rpl is the classic text-based version of kfilereplace; it too will find files and replace contents within them.

Edit: I don't know the details of "Google Search for Linux", but if you value your privacy and security, you do not want anything to do with any online service that touches your disk, let alone indexes every file on it.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Hi doctordruidphd

thanks for your input... I do require a search ability that has its own indexing to make the searches quicker in the long run and then once search results are displayed you can actually do someting with them. Searchmonkey for example was very quick and you found where the files were sited but you could not then select all and move to a new directory for example. I am hoping that once the indexes are created I can find stuff quicker in say dolphin and then you should be able to "do things" with the resultant finds.

All the help and tips being received are very much appreciated. I will let you know how I get on and then [resolve] the forum entry

Zeb...

Comment

Re: [Resolved] Kubuntu equivalent software for finding files on HDD

Hi All

Thanks to al concerned Strigi was the saviour of the day, now that all my files have been indexed I was able to quickly find over 2000 files scattered all over my hard disks and delete them.

They were a left over from a previous project that went wrong - lol and I could not delete them all in one go.

Many thanks again

Zeb...

Comment

Originally posted by zebedeeboss
                    Hi All

Thanks to al concerned Strigi was the saviour of the day, now that all my files have been indexed I was able to quickly find over 2000 files scattered all over my hard disks and delete them.

They were a left over from a previous project that went wrong - lol and I could not delete them all in one go.

Many thanks again

Zeb...
                    Good to hear! Yes, Dolphin with Strigi has become quite powerful now. Another +1 for KDE
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Glad to hear it, and to have been able to help!

Comment

Working...
                      X