This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Problem

I am running Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx. I frequently lose power where I live. When I lose power, I restart my computer to find that I no longer have a working network connection...It just disappears...I then have to do a fresh install of the operating system...does anybody know how I can solve this problem?is there a way that I can back up my network...so I can continue to have a network connection instead of having to reinstall the operating system...
    XΞpћΞxҲ™

Re: Network Problem

A sudden loss of power will not make either the network connection or the network manager "go away".

When you say you are doing a "fresh install of the operating system" are you saying you use the LiveCD and reinstall Kubuntu? If so, there is no reason to do that.

I am running Lucid too, but on a laptop. However, I would have no problem or concern pulling the power plug out of the wall to quickly shut down a desktop running Kubuntu. I have done it many times in the past (when I was running a desktop) as an emergency shutdown when surprised by a sudden lightening storm outside.

First, which NetworkManager are you using?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yeah I do a fresh install of kubuntu from the live cd...and when we black out I am left with no network connection...
      XΞpћΞxҲ™

Comment

You might just be losing the System Tray icon. But, replace KNetworkManger with wicd. Wicd is much better in Lucid than KNetworkManager.

First, install these packages:
        wicd
        wicd-cli
        wicd-curses
        wicd-daemon
        python-urwid
        python-wicd

Then, completely remove all of these packages:
        modemmanager
        network-manager
        network-manager-openconnect
        network-manager-openvpn
        network-manager-pptp
        network-manager-vpnc
        knm-runtime
        network-manager-kde
        plasma-widget-networkmanagement

After they are removed, reboot. When you desktop appears, open a Konsole and issue
        sudo apt-get autoremove
        to clean up the orphaned dependencies.

Wicd should be in the menu under the "Internet" option. Run it and configure your wireless connection. The wicd-cursers will allow you to set up or modify a network connection without needing the Kubuntu desktop running, i.e., during boot up wicd is loaded before KDE is and is not dependent on it.

Also, KPackageKit is somewhat of a pain to use. A better package manager for Lucid is, IMO, Synaptic. You can install it from a Konsole with
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends synaptic
        When your next power drop out occurs, and you boot back up, open a Konsole and issue:
        dmesg
        and past the last 50 or so lines in a post here. If wicd is missing from the System tray merely run it from the menu option and the tray will re-appear. The network isn't really down.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

How about getting a power surge protector?

You could also just try resetting your modem, switch, routers.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            How about getting a power surge protector?
            A Universal Power Supply (UPS) could keep the PC running, giving 5 or 10 minutes to do a normal shutdown could be done. Not sure how a surge protector would help with a total loss of power.

Comment

Working...
            X