Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't Kubuntu (and Linux in general) not suffer BSOD problems of Windows?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why doesn't Kubuntu (and Linux in general) not suffer BSOD problems of Windows?

Yeah but the California Highway Patrol chased a guy for I don't know... a coupla hundred miles and he had ran out of oil!!!!

woodsmoke

Comment

Re: Why doesn't Kubuntu (and Linux in general) not suffer BSOD problems of Windows?

I don't know much about Linux. I've got my machine running pretty darn good with 10.4 and I'm leaving it alone. As I've said before, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But I do know a lot about Windows. I've had some pretty cool programs that ran great on one computer, but performed poorly or not at all on another. Want 2 anti-viruses running to double protect your system? That's a definite no no.

Sometimes you think you're doing your computer a favor by installing a maintenance program such as System Mechanics, but I've had System Mechanics break a windows install before. And no matter what I tried to do, Windows hardly ever 'just ran' for long. I'd have to do some sort or clean up or something to get a little more speed out of it. And I was a Windows guru; people would come to me with their computer problems and I'd fix them.

Then you have to hunt down programs that you like. You'd get something the was highly rated only to find out that it didn't run very well on your particular machine. I had Nero on my desktop for video editing and I could create a video no problem with it. But if I ran the same 'awesome' program on my wife's computer, I couldn't play the burned DVD. And I had to pay for that program. A friend of mine recently upgraded his Firefox and killed his Windows install that way! Windows can just die for no reason.

Yeah, a lot of times Windows just 'works' for a very long time. I've never been that lucky. I wasn't even lucky with Linux until Kubuntu 10.4 came out. I don't know what the hell I'm going to do when the LTS support runs out! I'm scared that the new version won't run very well on my machine. It's picky as hell about what can run on it and what can't. Kinda like a Dell gestapo for OS's, "No Linux Mint for you!!!!!!"

My belief is that you need to fit your needs with the OS and then the machine. If you just grab some random machine or OS without doing your research and try to just make it work, it might not. It doesn't matter if you have Windows or Linux. When my computer dies or the support for this OS runs out, I'm doing my research and finding out how I can get the best running machine with what I've got. I'll do the research and there'll be no finger crossing because I'll already know what runs on my machine and what don't. Yeah, I may still get a surprise or two, but chances are I won't.

You can't just close your eyes and pray for the best. You might get lucky, but I prefer to make my own luck.

Comment

Did I kill this thread or something? Feels like I've killed one or two threads already. Not a good record for such a noob as myself! Geez!

Comment

Originally posted by charles052
          Did I kill this thread or something? Feels like I've killed one or two threads already. Not a good record for such a noob as myself! Geez!
          Nah, your post was dead on. People are used to thinking that you must be able to run any piece of software on any piece of hardware. The realities are much gloomier. I don't think you should have too many problems running the next Kubuntu LTS, since work is being done to trim it down with regards to system requirements, but enhance productivity. From what I've seen, Gnome's decision to pull a Plasma-Kwin with making Gnome Shell tied to Mutter is also a good thing, since the requirements are going down there as well. I'm not a 100% sure if Canonical can do the same with Compiz and Unity, but let's wait and see.

And after the next LTS, work will probably be done on Wayland, in which case all our guesses are less important.
          "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

Originally posted by de_koraco
            Nah, your post was dead on. People are used to thinking that you must be able to run any piece of software on any piece of hardware. The realities are much gloomier. I don't think you should have too many problems running the next Kubuntu LTS, since work is being done to trim it down with regards to system requirements, but enhance productivity. From what I've seen, Gnome's decision to pull a Plasma-Kwin with making Gnome Shell tied to Mutter is also a good thing, since the requirements are going down there as well. I'm not a 100% sure if Canonical can do the same with Compiz and Unity, but let's wait and see.

And after the next LTS, work will probably be done on Wayland, in which case all our guesses are less important.
            Sounds great to me!! I love Kubuntu and I hope to take full advantage of it the next go around. If my current machine doesn't work with the new LTS, I'll probably just end up building a new machine so that I can finally have the awesome machine I've always wanted.

I'm sure that if anyone reads my posts, they can figure out that I don't know much about Linux. Sure, I know a lot more about it than the layman and can even play around the terminal a bit. But for configurations and such, I'm googling like crazy, copying, pasting, and crossing my fingers. LOL

This forum has made my life so much easier and has cut down my maintenance time on my computers down to almost nothing. And I love to lurk around here reading everyone's posts. Woodsmoke, Greygeek, and the other pros are a treat to read.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Sounds great to me!! I love Kubuntu and I hope to take full advantage of it the next go around. If my current machine doesn't work with the new LTS, I'll probably just end up building a new machine so that I can finally have the awesome machine I've always wanted.

I'm sure that if anyone reads my posts, they can figure out that I don't know much about Linux. Sure, I know a lot more about it than the layman and can even play around the terminal a bit. But for configurations and such, I'm googling like crazy, copying, pasting, and crossing my fingers. LOL
              If you go down the route of building/buying a new machine, just get one of the later Intel or a non-Optimus Nivida card, and you'll be good to go for many years.
              "The only way Kubuntu could be more user friendly would be if it came with a virtual copy of Snowhog and dibl"

Comment

If you push the envelope, you'll get something similar. In Linux there are several terms.

One is "kernel panic."

Kernel panic is rare for me these days, and is mostly hardware-dependent with older computers.

Those kernel guys are continually "improving" the kernel and sometimes making it less compatible with older hardware.

also, there are multiple cache overflows and overruns in many apps that will freeze the system. While it is not a BSOD, you will see "system freeze" threads frequently for one reason or another. Most of those have to do with specific apps, but an OS is, after all, comprised of hundreds of modules, all of which are constantly being updated and changed.

To tell you the truth, I haven't seen a BSOD in Windows since XP came out.

So I guess it's always about the way you abuse your system (lol).

Fanbois will be fanbois.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                X