This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can not start KDE

I have Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick AMD 64 Bit.
    I installed KMyfirewall from software channel and configured it. However, I think I configured it wrongly. Ever since Installation and restarting the system, Kubuntu does not start. The errors I get after logging in:

"The following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE: No write access to /home/shailesh/.ICEauthority. KDE is unable to start."

After this, I get another error in another window:

"Could not start KSM Server. Check your installation"

After this, screen goes blank, no further work possible.

Can some one help me?

Re: Error in Booting due to incorrect firewall configuration in KMyfirewall

Reboot. If you don't see the Grub menu when you normally boot, then press the Shift key to allow the Grub menu to become visible. Select the second menu entry (recovery). This will boot you into a command line prompt. Then type:

pwd

and press enter. Verify that you are in your user home directory. If your user name was bob, you should see:

/home/bob

If you verify that you are in your user home directory, type:

sudo chown -R user:user

(where user is your login user name) and press enter.

Enter your password and press enter. This will change the ownership on all folders/files in your home directory to your user id. Then type:

sudo shutdown -r now

and press enter. This will reboot and you should be good to go.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks Snowhog for a very prompt reply. It worked very well for me. I am able to now start Kubuntu.
      I assume it was only the permissions that were wrong and not the firewall configuration.
      Thanks a Ton.

Comment

You are correct (permissions issue) and not a firewall problem. This typically happens (ownership changes to root within your user home directory) when a GUI (graphical) application is launched from a console using sudo instead of kdesudo.

Word to the wise: NEVER launch a graphical application from a console using sudo. ALWAYS use kdesudo.

Glad it wasn't more complicated, and happy to have been of assistance.

Welcome to KFN.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Can not start KDE

You are right. I was using sudo command to launch kmyfirewall as super user. therefore the problem arised.
          Thanks for the last tip, I will always remember it henceforth.

Comment

Working...
          X