X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some stuff to install

Hello There.
    I'm really new at linux, is the first time I use and i want to install some programs at the kubuntu 11.04. I don't know if some of these programmes i can install at linux: Windows Live Messenger, Itunes, Winrar, Microsoft Office or Skype. Well, I don't know if here is the exactly forum to ask this question but can you help me?

ricardoferreira.

Re: Some stuff to install

to install software you can use the "kpackagekit" to search for programs and install them just about everyprogram you need will be in the repository but if you need more you can enable other repos like medibuntu (you prolly will want to do that too).

Windows Live -> use kopete (pre installed) just set up your account info and you can connect
    Itunes -> amarok is the included audio player, you can also install literally 100 other programs.

winrar you can use ark it will open rar files but you will want to install also the package
    p7zip-full (that will cover you for just about anyformat in ark)

for MS office you can use libreoffice (i think included) or koffice they should both open and save ms office formats.

idk about skype i think there is a linux version of that one but i hear its way behind the windows version.

but seriously look around add see what programs are in the repository. you will be susprised how much good stuff is in there.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

If I recall correctly, Kopete can be used with Windows Messenger, iTunes is[IMHO]cruddy software and you should never think about it again, I believe that Amarok can directly connect with it, especially if its an older pod. Ark can handle everything I've thrown at it a lot better then Winrar ever could, and LibreOffice is the equivalent of MSOffice, and works better in my opinion. Most of what you asked about is already available on the default installation, though you'll want to install some new things as well to ensure you can use everything correctly. There is a Skype for Linux, I believe it can be found in the repositories, which you can use KPackageKit to find I believe.

If you don't mind using a terminal to do this[kmenu->applications->system->konsole] and copy/paste the following:

Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
      That way you can get 3rd party stuff, like the ability to play .mp3 files for example.

I hope this helps you out, and I'm glad that your experience has been good so far!
      EDIT:
      and bah, sithlord got to it before me, I'll leave it here anyhow
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

sithlord48

Well, thank you for the advises. Firstly, i seriously don't like kopete. I can't use the webcam neither can play the games windows live have. Secondly, how do I install ark? I want do open .rar, .zip and .iso files at last.

Linkmaster
        Like I said, i don't like kopete. Is the only thing I don't like.

RIcardo Ferreira

Comment

ark is included.

there are Tons of other im programs , try Pidgin for a start

Comment

But can ark open .rar and .zip files? And another thing: In Kopete, sometimes i need do send a print to my friends. How can I do that?

Ricardo Ferreira

Comment

Welcome to Kubuntu. I'm sure that all this seems so new to you and facing another learning curve with a new OS may seem daunting, but I hope you stay with it and soon realize how much Windows sucks compared to Kubuntu and many other Linux distros.

I had to learn what programs in Linux would replace all my old Windows programs and so far I'm extremely pleased. Thankfully, there are several programs that you absolutely have to have for Windows that you have no need of with Linux, such as anti-virus, anti-malware, and anti-spyware. It's also got a built in firewall that much more secure than Windows as well.

I would suggest you keep using windows on a dual boot system or, preferably, just as a virtual machine as I do, since there maybe times where you need a program that can only run on Windows such as some webpages that are only compatible with Internet Explorer. With a virtual machine, you can just boot up Windows and do whatever you have to do quickly and never leave your far superior Linux desktop.

Anyways, welcome to the boards and I hope you find the programs you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by ricardoferreira
                But can ark open .rar and .zip files? And another thing: In Kopete, sometimes i need do send a print to my friends. How can I do that?

Ricardo Ferreira
                ark is for archives of all types. the ones it can open will depend on what is installed on your machine you might need to install the rar-nonfree package depending on what rar version your opening.

im not sure because it will depend on what service your talking about. i think most of them allow you to send files.

Comment

KPackageKit is still a work in progress, you might want to install Muon or synaptic, they give you more control over the software repositories.
                  There's no problem installing them in parallel, just use one at a time.
                  As already mentioned go to medibuntu.org for multimedia codex etc. and add their repository, the instructions on the site are very clear.

Krusader is a very good file manager for the few times Dolphin doesn't hack it.

I find Thunderbird the most versatile E-mail and News client and Firefox the handiest browser but I do sometimes use Konqueror as it seems to have it's own advantages.
                  You might need Java, I recommend the Icedtea jre.
                  A good multimedia plug in for Firefox is totem-mozilla.

In case you do web sites get the Bluefish editor.

You might want an FTP client, I can recommend FileZilla.
                  A newsreader for binaries is PAN, a very reliable NBZ client is Klibido but there is presently no 64bit version available.

When you want to install a printer you will probably need cups.
                  Xsane is still the best software for image scanning.
                  If it isn't installed already take Gwenview as your standard picture viewer and install The Gimp as the most versatile photo editor.
                  A very good and incredibly easy to use program for making panoramic photo's is Hugin.

VLC is one of the best known media players but i am partial to SMplayer, a front end to mplayer.

Truecrypt is presently the most used encryption program, it's also available for Windows.

Stellarium is a fantastic astronomy program.

For case you want to run a Windows program you need to install Wine.

Things like a graphical network monitor and a weather applet can be found in the widgets, accessible through the little icon in the top right of the desktop.

Comment

Re: Windows Live (MSN messenger), I use aMSN, you should have no problem using a webcam with this, I've never had any problems, although you will need to open up the ports (port 6891 & 6892 work for me) in the firewall so you can send and receive video.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the software...This is very helpful to me

floydsp

Comment

Working...
                      X