This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop turns off suddenly by heat with Kubuntu

I'm always having this problem when using KDE.
    I have acer aspire 5715z laptop
    Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86 GHz with 3GB of RAM

I've used other operating systems in it, like ubuntu, linux mint gnome, windows etc.
    Only in KDE desktop environment, the laptop get too hot (specially when watching video), that it turns itself off.

I also use external laptop cooling fan underneath my laptop, and even though it turns off by heat. (It doesn't happen with any other desktop environment, or even with windows)

I like the Kubuntu environment and it's feature. I'd like to keep using it and wish that the problem is solved.

Re: Laptop turns off suddenly by heat with Kubuntu

First try to figure out which process uses so much power.
    Once your computer is up and running you can press CTRL+ESC and sort the list according to CPU%.

There might be some runaway process that has no business running or some known bug that can be fixed with a tweak.

Comment

I believe there's a new kernel issue that involves battery life and heat. You might search for that a bit to see if it's impacting your install. You might try installing 10.04 or 10.10 and seeing if the heat goes away because they didn't have the issue.

Also, it could be related to fan control (the fan not turning on) on your GPU or CPU so look into that too. That should be easy enough to detect, turn the laptop on and listen to see if the fan comes on or speeds up as the machine gets hotter.

Finally, ACPI controls heat signals. In the past I had a machine that would shut itself down because of a false temperature readout

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried to hear the fan (of-course I've taken off the external fan), and actually fans are working fine. Also I've tried with ctrl+esc in system activity "Xorg" uses the maximum cpu which is around 7-10%. I've tried this with playing a you tube video, my browser uses around 30% of CPU. I think this is nothing unusual. May be I'll try downgrading, to see what happens...

Comment

Yes the values you report should be OK, when you succeed with an older version let us know!

Comment

I've downgraded to Kubuntu 10.10, before I check about the problem is solved, there is a new problem arose. I can't use widgets now..
            if I try to add any widget to desktop, it says, "This object could not be created for the following reason: Could not find requested component:"
            This message shows to any widget I try to add to desktop. Also, there supposed to be a wrench icon to customise widget, which is not there anymore, just size, rotate and close.
            How can i bring back my widgets?

Comment

Working...
            X