This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XMMS = YES, amaroK = NO

I tried playing an mp3 file with the default player (amaroK). No luck. I then installed XMMS and it works but i want to be able to use amaroK.

If anyone can help, I'd be thankful.

Re: XMMS = YES, amaroK = NO

is your MP3 in a Windows shared folder? if yes, mount the shares using Smb4K.. and make sure that Amarok is using the Xine Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by witooo
      I tried playing an mp3 file with the default player (amaroK). No luck. I then installed XMMS and it works but i want to be able to use amaroK.
      Have you installed 'libxine-extracodecs' package? It's needed for mp3 playback with amarok/xine

See here:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats

Note that you have to enable 'multiverse' repositories to install the package.

Comment

Originally posted by raldz
        is your MP3 in a Windows shared folder? if yes, mount the shares using Smb4K.. and make sure that Amarok is using the Xine Engine.
        I have the Mp3's on an external HD. I store all my music there and want to open files from both windows and linux. I have to mount the files? If so, what is Smb4k and where can i find it?

Thx.

Comment

if Smb4K is not installed, you may find it in synaptic.. it will automatically mount networked windows shares in 1 click.. it's a browser for shared folders..

Comment

Just to clarify a bit, with smb4k you can access network shares on a Windows host on your network.

If you just have an external harddisk that has your (music) files all you have to do is mount it to access the media.

How to mount it depends on a few things like what the filesystem on the disk is (fat32 or ntfs) for example (I assume it's a MS filesystem as you're using the disk on windows also)

Also important information is whether it's always connected or not and which users you want to have access to the disk etc.

aysiu has written a howto for mounting windows drives:
            http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountwindows.php
            and I'm sure you can find plenty more if you need to

Note: when reading the howtos keep in mind that because you have an external disk, it will be sdXX something instead of hdXX

EDIT: if the filesystem is ntfs, I strongly recommend mounting it read-only with the 'ro' option...if you follow aysiu's howto, instead of
            /dev/hda1 /windows ntfs nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0
            /dev/hda1 /windows ntfs ro,nls=utf8,umask=0222 0 0

umask=0222 is enough for most cases, but ro is safer as you can't accidentally write to it with sudo

Comment

Working...
            X