Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

keyboard and mouse needed on a server system?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

keyboard and mouse needed on a server system?

Once a system has been installed (say ubunut server), and you can reach said system via SSH, and disable the keyboard and mouse check in the bios, could the system come up completely headless? I've always wanted to try this.

Re: keyboard and mouse needed on a server system?

Sure - most servers in a large organization are run headless.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

So then, once the system is update/running, go into the bios, shut the system hang on missing keyboard and mouse off, and then my system should be communicating happily on a power cycle?

I can see why they would run headless. Physical access is definitely a security issue!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigAmbulance
        So then, once the system is update/running, go into the bios, shut the system hang on missing keyboard and mouse off, and then my system should be communicating happily on a power cycle?

I can see why they would run headless. Physical access is definitely a security issue!
        Yup - should work fine.

Not only is it a security issue, there's no reason to buy or find a place for all those monitors and keyboards. Even in the raised floor area at work we do KVM over Ethernet - generally it's one keyboard, mouse and monitor for every 16 servers.
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Mine has been since day one (about four years ago).

At first, I used VNC but it was buggy and slow (PCLinuxOS). Last year I installed Ubuntu Server 10.04 and no desktop at all and have no trouble.

I set up ssh with an alternate port on both ends (server and desktop) and then setup a shared key between it and my desktop.

I use web tools to access some parts of the system - WebMin, Transmission for torrents, CUPS (no brainer), MediaTomb for DLNA, and ssh/rsh for most anything else. I even use a dolphin ssh connection for file browsing when rarely needed.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X