This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Menu

I just switched to what was referred to as the "classic menu" after having problems with the default one.

One problem is that I couldn't see how to go backwards, that is, to go from Applications->Internet to Applications->System.

The other was when I would use the menu I would get a cursor arrow, with a red "not symbol" attached and an icon below those and it would follow the cursor around. Apparently it is looking to place the icon somewhere, as it put one on the desktop when I clicked it there, but I was getting it without wanting it.

I am also getting other strange behavior. The browsers (both the KDE one and Firefox) are scrolling up and down when I am trying to type and will go "back" while I am typing. I don't know if that is related to my HP notebook which has some kind of special thing in the mouse pad area.

I also cannot get my password to be accepted in the terminal window for sudo (it was accepted maybe once out of ten tries).

Re: KDE Menu

Hello TFD

- When you click on Applications->Internet, ther will be a bar to the left of the icons with a left-pointing arrow in it. That bar, once clicked, will let you go back one level in the menu.

- If you do see an icon with the "not" symbol, just click anywhere in the K-menu area. It will disapper then.

- Make sure you still see a text cursor in the text field you are typing in. It has happened to me when I going between Firefox and LO.

- As for the last one, I'll yield to someone who knows more about it.
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

OK thanks, I will look for that if I switch back.

Some of my problems may be due to my computer. HP has a new mouse pad with some indentation in the upper left that allows you to disable it, but I don't know if it also somehow causes flaky behavior under linux since the mousepad has a special Windows driver.

Comment

Install the package tpconfig.
        Description: touchpad device configuration utility
        This package provides a program that can show or modify the configuration of
        various touchpad devices, including the Synaptics
        TouchPad and the ALPS Glidepad/Stickpointer.
        It's what I did for my HP Pavilion g7-1070US. Works great.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Good tip Snowhog - I had some weirdness going on with my touchpad not being disabled when my mouse was plugged in (and it used to be). I just instlled TPConfig and not even 20 seconds later things are back to normal. Mouse usb is plugged back in and touchpad is disabled. I knew it was something simple.
          Lead by example, but be an example worth following.

Comment

Lancelot is always worth a look at.

Comment

Working...
            X