This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

copy files from ntfs drive freezes system

long story short, I have 50gb of data I want to retrieve from a NTFS drive.

When I try to copy the files, the whole system crashes after a while. I believe it's a combination of two factors :
    A) the root folder has special characters like ú and ã

B) the file system is NTFS

has anyone come acroos this issue ?

Re: copy files from ntfs drive freezes system

Neither of the potential problems you name is a problem. Linux reads ntfs easily, it just doesn't write it very well and even that is improving. You can obviously copy or move files with any character set. Otherwise how would anyone copy binary files? You might have a problem, if you had strange characters in the file NAMES. You would have to set the iocharset=<whatever> when mounting the ntfs drive.

Personally, I'm inclined to think that the problem is that you're trying to transfer too many files at once. Unless all (or, at least some) of the files are very large, you're trying to transfer quite a few files. If you use something like Shift-click to select a VERY large number of files and then drag them to another directory, you will probably have a problem. On the other hand, if some of your files are VERY large, you will also have a problem with buffering.

Comment

well i managed to transfer that whole directory in small batches. but every now and then the problem still happens with large files (350mb) even I transfer one by one.

the only problem here is having to reboot to get back to work :\

Comment

350 MB--Wow!, The largest file on my machine is about 18 MB. I suspect that you do have a buffer overrun problem. If I (or you) were sure that that was the problem I'd file a bug report which I assume that the Kubuntu folks would pass up the line. Buffer overruns are a principal source of malware exploits and konqueror is a program that goes to the net. Although, if someone had to send a 350 MB email attachment to exploit the problem, I don't think they'd get very far beyond the first mail transfer agent. Can you split your huge files into say 20 MB sections for transfer? Just look up the man page "man split".

Comment

the odd thing here is that the system hangs randomly: the same file may or may not hang the system.

and yes, i have some pretty large files, raging from 350 to 700mb. Mostly videos and ISO backups. They were stored in a 120gb drive formated as ntfs. Now i need to split that drive into two partitions: 1 fat32 and 1 NTFS.

that way i can have windows installed on the ntfs partition and sharing these and other files with kubuntu on the fat32.

Comment

I just transferred the Dapper-386-Desktop and Dapper-AMD64-Desktop files (696 and 697 MB) from my external USB2 to my SATA and back. No problems. The implication is that it's not the size of the file that matters. Reading from one HD to another is obviously much faster than reading to and from USB2. I wonder if your problem has to do with dma settings?

Comment

I didn't change any settings, but I am running two different hard drives.

My main hdd is a western digital - 250 gb SATA, the second a Maxtor - 120gb SATA. Both connected straight to the motherboard, no sata card in between.

guess I'll just have to be patient

Comment

Did you say your main was hdd? Usually the master device is hdc (top of ide cable) and slave is hdd (second drive on cable) . Anyway, do you think it has something to do with your jumper settings? Are they both set to cable select? Or are they both properly set to master and slave? (Usually the top of the drive gives info on how to correctly use the jumper settings.)

john

Comment

I Meant "my main hard disk drive", sorry for the mix up.

As for the jumper settings, they're sata hard drives, so they don't need to be set as slave or master afaik

Comment

Working...
                  X