X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

suddenly reset to installation defaults and downloaded files erased

Hi everybody

I have installed Kubuntu 11.04 in my desktop computer alongside Windows 7 (not within, but each one in its own partition, and kubuntu's /home folder in another partition). After several weeks, I have installed all the software from the repositories (except texlive, which was installed from DVD). I have also added shortcuts to the desktop and to "favorites" (in the KDE menu). The only non-open source software are the "nvidia" driver and oracle's java jdk.

Yesterday, I was moving a pair of files from a Dolphin window to another one. Then, something unsual flickered in the screen, too fast to see it in detail. After that, the configuration for all apps got reset to installation defaults. Just an example: for Firefox, all configuration options are reset, all complements I installed are gone, and all downloaded files in the /home/josedavid/Downloads folder are gone (precisely, the files I was moving were from this folder). After rebooting, the desktop configuration also became reset to installation defaults. However, folders I've manually created in /home/josedavid/ have not been emptied.

As I configured the wastepaper to not be used, the deleted files are not inside it.

I've tried to find help googling in ubuntu, kubuntu and other linux forums, but to no avail.

Anybody has any clue on what might have happened and how might I recover all the erased files and configuration options?

Regards

josedavid

Re: suddenly reset to installation defaults and downloaded files erased

UPDATE: I seem to have lost all files in /home/josedavid up to three nesting levels. So, for example, I've lost all files in:

/home/josedavid
    /home/josedavid/level1
    /home/josedavid/level1/level2
    /home/josedavid/level1/level2/level3

but all deeper files have been spared, for example in

/home/josedavid/level1/level2/level3/level4

It's very strange, as the folder tree is intact, it is just that all affected folders have been emptied.

This explains the lost of configuration options, but I'm still scratching my head trying to understand what sort of unfortunate keystrokes and mouse clicks have triggered this bizarre situation. It is very strange: I was just drag-and-dropping some files from one Dolphin window to the other, and the next I know, all these folders are empty.

Does anyone have any clue on what command might I have inadvertently invoked?

Comment

Re: suddenly reset to installation defaults and downloaded files erased

Sounds like you dropped your home folder somewhere and the files moved until it was interrupted.

You might search for your josedavid folder somewhere on one of the other drives.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X