When I try to install any new software using Adept, I get the following:

Could not commit changes-Adept Installer

There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there
    was a problem downloading some packages
    or the commit would break packages.

What does this mean? How can I fix it?
    Thanks.

Re: Problem with Adept

Adept does cause problems like this from time to time. Many people recommend that you use Synaptic instead. However, in your position I would try to install your software (just try one package at a time) using the command "sudo apt-get install <packagename>" from a console. That way, if you get an error, it should be explicit.

Comment

Is there any chance Adept isn't running as root? Do you get prompted for a password before it starts? If you are somehow running it as a regular user, it won't work. It needs the all-powerful root permissions to make changes.

Try starting it like this: Alt+F2, type kdesu adept, give the password, do a test install of something. If it now works, you're somehow running Adept as a regular user, which won't work.

It's the only suggestion I can think of. I'm a noob to kubuntu/adept myself. I'm used to Synaptic.

Comment

i had the same issue.. as it turns out it was a dependency issue
        now i have a different problem. adept hasn't installed anything for except tcltsl. it's stupid little things like this that make windows users not want to switch. considering going back to Ubuntu with Synaptic.

Comment

Originally posted by benlsmith
          When I try to install any new software using Adept, I get the following:

Could not commit changes-Adept Installer

There was an error commiting changes. Possibly there
          was a problem downloading some packages
          or the commit would break packages.
          One possible reason is a bad/insufficient/conflicting repositories. Try creating a new sources.list with source-o-matic, for example:
          http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic

Originally posted by sir_cheats_a_lot
          considering going back to Ubuntu with Synaptic.
          If Adept is not working for you, you can install/use Synaptic in kde/kubuntu just fine, I prefer it to Adept myself. (Though Adept has a few nice features, I'm more used to Synaptic...and it still feels more mature than Adept)

Comment

yep i'm going to try to get synaptic, now that i got apt-get working. had to remake my sources.list at http://www.ubuntulinux.nl/source-o-matic
            then i rebooted and apt started working perhaps adept will work now. hold on and i'll check....
            yep it's working

Comment

Working...
            X