X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 11.04 and KDE 4.6.3?

All:
    Anyone with freezing problems with Kubuntu 11.04 upgrade to KDE 4.6.3? If so, any changes?

Keith Lee

Re: Kubuntu 11.04 and KDE 4.6.3?

Originally posted by keithdlee2000
    All:
    Anyone with freezing problems with Kubuntu 11.04 upgrade to KDE 4.6.3? If so, any changes?

Keith Lee
    I actually have experienced this freeze-up a few times, but I usually just wait it out. I'm certain that a fix will come out as long as the bug continues to be reported.
    (Regular) Linux User Since September 1, 2010 (First played around with Linux in 2004)
    Kubuntu 12.04 (64-bit), Dual Boot w/Windows Vista
    KDE 4.8.4a, HP Pavilion dv9623gl, AMD Turion64 x2
    nVidia GeForce Go 7150M, 2 GB RAM

Comment

the only freezing I noticed was when I turned 'blur' for desktop effects on, though that is probably because of my cruddy RAM card. Just my two cents
      Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

Just the opposite here. Similar issues on 4.6.2 but since 4.6.3 I don't get that any more.

Comment

11.04 is also freezing up, actually locking up, on me. I'm going to revert back to 10.10. I also use gentoo, and noticed my system started locking up when I switched to the various 2.6.38.x kernels. I switched back to 2.6.37.x kernel and everything works fine now. Once the 2.6.39.x becomes available, where x>0, I'll give it a try. Just my observations.

Comment

System: Host tanagra Kernel 2.6.38-8-generic i686 (32 bit) Distro Ubuntu 11.04 natty

No such problems - period.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by emwave42
              11.04 is also freezing up, actually locking up, on me. I'm going to revert back to 10.10. I also use gentoo, and noticed my system started locking up when I switched to the various 2.6.38.x kernels. I switched back to 2.6.37.x kernel and everything works fine now. Once the 2.6.39.x becomes available, where x>0, I'll give it a try. Just my observations.
              My laptop completely froze on my ubuntu Natty, Kubuntu worked fine because I hadn't installed the ATI driver, or so I thought was the problem. Then Kubuntu started hang on load up/after login. I was 99% sure it was graphics driver but I was mistaken. I came across this blog with "our own" Bigbrovar, swithing from the open wifi driver to the propriety solved it for me, using CLI with nano instead of a LiveCD though.

This is a really nasty problem since it looks and feels like a display bug, it's really hard to figure it out, I un & re-installed the prop ATI* driver several times

Even if it may not be OP's problem, seems likely that there's someone here with the same issue. All cred to Bigbrovar, thanks mate

http://bigbrovar.aoizora.org/index.p...y-work-around/

*edit
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

I think freezes in natty are related to nvidia driver:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/760632

I am on an ati card with catalyst driver and I am using natty as my main system since beta2 and everything is working great. No crashes and freezes at all.
                Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

I can agree with that. The system I had issue with until going to 4.6.3 is the Desktop with a NVidia card. The laptop, which has an ATI display had no such issues. The laptop actually has been great! The desktop is now though so, for me anyway, all was solved.

Comment

I did a little more testing. I am using an nvidia card(9800gt) and the amd64 version of 11.04. I turned off Desktop Effects in System Settings, and I'm no longer getting os lockups. I've been running over 24hrs with no problems. Hope this helps.

Comment

Problems with nvidia driver should be fixed in 275.xx version:

"Hello,

I escalated this problem to the Linux Engineering Manager. An Engineer has been assigned to work on this at high priority. We are targeting the fix for the upcoming 275.xx driver which is currently planned to ship in early June 2011."
                      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Working...
                      X