Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Want to build a new Kubuntu computer.

That's a pretty darn good machine for the money. And you'll get the most out of it with linux, for sure.

My first response to this thread was "$300 is more than enough" but then I remembered that I get Intel chips for free
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Originally posted by charles052
      Okay, here's what I've got:

ASUS AMD Socket AM3 790X/SB750

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz

Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 - 1 GB DDR3

Haven't chose the memory or the case yet.
      really, thats almost identical to my last desktop build i did but , and a newer version of the video card.

Originally posted by rfakhrai
      If I can sway you away from an ATI video card, I'd like to. Nvidia is much more Kubuntu friendly in my opinion and you can probably find an Nvidia card of comparable price (e.g. 9500GT).
      Originally posted by woodsmoke
      I'll second what rfa said, nvidia is just more friendly to Linux.
      Sorry guys i have to disagree with you Nvidia doesn't help w/ the opensource driver, nor do they provide indepth hardware info on their cards. AMD (who now owns ATI) does. In the past i would have agreed with you about Nvidia, but since AMD took over the open driver has improved alot, and it can only get better /my 2cents
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

That's a pretty darn good machine for the money. And you'll get the most out of it with linux, for sure.

My first response to this thread was "$300 is more than enough" but then I remembered that I get Intel chips for free
        Awesome! You rock!

Myself, I still don't think my math is right. $400 still seems south of what I'll end up spending on this. But it'll be worth it since this desktop will be more powerful, more easily upgraded, and ,hopefully, more durable.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          Originally posted by charles052
          Okay, here's what I've got:

ASUS AMD Socket AM3 790X/SB750

Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz

Sapphire Radeon HD 5570 - 1 GB DDR3

Haven't chose the memory or the case yet.
          really, thats almost identical to my last desktop build i did but , and a newer version of the video card.

If I can sway you away from an ATI video card, I'd like to. Nvidia is much more Kubuntu friendly in my opinion and you can probably find an Nvidia card of comparable price (e.g. 9500GT).
          Originally posted by woodsmoke
          I'll second what rfa said, nvidia is just more friendly to Linux.
          Sorry guys i have to disagree with you Nvidia doesn't help w/ the opensource driver, nor do they provide indepth hardware info on their cards. AMD (who now owns ATI) does. In the past i would have agreed with you about Nvidia, but since AMD took over the open driver has improved alot, and it can only get better /my 2cents
          Really! I saw a post here recently with that exact card and the poster (I can't tell you offhand who) said that it worked great. No problems whatsoever. That's why I chose that one.

I don't really need a newer graphics card since I won't be doing any hardcore gaming. Just some 2d image manipulation and light video editing and such. But out of curiosity, which card would you recommend?

Comment

i have the ati 4830HD card its plunty powerfully to run kde. the open driver works just fine with it. (i use DVI and had two monitors for a long time).
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
              i have the ati 4830HD card its plunty powerfully to run kde. the open driver works just fine with it. (i use DVI and had two monitors for a long time).
              Cool! Thanks for the info!!

Comment

I have the nvidia Geforce 6600 which I've ran in every distro that i've booted and i have a lot of cds that i use for shooting skeet!

i have never had a problem with the 6600 card running on first boot.

The 9500 gt will sometimes not load directly on a first boot. So, I do a first boot with the 6600 install the 173 driver or whatever and then do the 9500 and have had no problems.

So sometimes whether a "system" "works or not" depends upon the order in which one does things.

As far as not needing the absolute best video card, i've come to the conclusion that for my needs the 9500 is probably "too much", the 6600 produces a fine display on a two year old viewsonic wide screen monitor, even with out of the way window managers like Afterstep.

However, Afterstep installed from within Ubu does not work well, there is all sorts of "jitter" and "ghost windows", and that is a problem of Ubu not Afterstep or nvidia. So sometimes it is an upstream thing, because a system that works fine with one combo of stuff suddenly does not work fine with another combo is not the fault of either the hardware or the "downstream", as in Kubu, part it goes back to "upstream" which kind of gets into a complaint in another thread that Natty doesn't work well on a guys's system.

As to what will happen in the future with ATI, I don't know.

woodsmoke

Comment

That's interesting. I have 9500 cards in three different computers and have never had a problem like that. they have always been detected and worked at first boot on all three machines.

Comment

Ummmm Detonate......with a moniker like yours I think that possibly they are too SCARED to not be compliant!

As to running it at first boot, there are many distros that do that, but when i get the dreaded tty(enter an number) on a black screen i automatically reach for the older card!

woodsmoke

Comment

Looks like I'll be postponing my build. My computer is running flawlessly now since I last reinstalled Kubuntu 10.4 and put in a new DVD drive (my last one gave up the ghost). While it'd be awesome to have a quad core computer with serious graphics, I just can't justify getting rid of a perfectly good computer that more than fills my immediate needs.

Thanks guys for all your help. When I finally get to building my new computer, this will be the first place I'll look. I do hope that this thread and other threads like this helps others with building their new computers, because let's face it: buying one retail might be easier, but you get so much more for less when you get down and just do it yourself.

You guys have really been great!

Just an afterthought. Since so many like to build their own computers, wouldn't it be kinda cool to have a thread or something with about custom builds, showing the hardware used and how well it works. It'd be a super sweet showcase of other users talents as well as helpful to us that want to build a computer but find it rather confusing. That is, unless something like that has already been done.

Thanks again!

Comment

Looks like I opened a can of worms! I had no idea that the ATI cards have gotten better.
                        It's all about the money, OP. The longer you can make your machine last, the better. And I think your idea for a sub-forum is great.
                        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Building the Perfect PC, 3rd Edition
                          http://www.amazon.com/Building-Perfe.../dp/1449388248

http://forums.hardwareguys.com/ikonboard.cgi?
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                          X