This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing software from the internet

I am trying to install firefox 4.0.1 and other software from the Internet such as VMware. The farthest i have gotten is Ark. I select extract and it takes me to my file manager. How do i run these installed programs. I am quite new to Linux and don't really understand it yet. Any info would b most appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Installing software from the internet

Originally posted by N8_D

I am quite new to Linux and don't really understand it yet. Any info would b most appreciated.

Thanks
    The first thing you need to know about installing packages is to look first in your *buntu repositories. For example:

Code:
    don@natty-vm:/$ sudo apt-cache policy firefox
    firefox:
     Installed: (none)
     Candidate: 4.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.11.04.1
     Version table:
       4.0.1+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.11.04.1 0
        500 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] natty-updates/main i386 Packages
        500 [url]http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] natty-security/main i386 Packages
       4.0+nobinonly-0ubuntu3 0
        500 [url]http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/[/url] natty/main i386 Packages
    says I can get Firefox Ver. 4 from the main package repo, and 4.0.1 if I have added the natty-updates PPA. No need for downloading an unchecked package for that one.

However, for VMware, you'll have to download a *.bundle package for the appropriate architecture, from the VMware site.

Comment

Ok, i tried the command apt-cache..... but i forgot to mention i had the previous version of firefox. There was no 4.0.1 update so i updated my natty narwhal. The last time i tried this my laptop was very unresponsive and incredibly slow so i just reinstalled the original version again. Still downloading. About the VMware, i downloaded the bundle but i am back to Kate. I have no idea what to do with it from here. I dont have access to my pc right now but last i recall i made it to Ark, i extracted it and it took me to my file manager? What now??

Comment

Dolphin is your file manager. So, you download your VMware package -- let's say it is VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.x86_64.bundle. If you set up your system like I do, it will download to a directory named "Downloads" in my user's home folder. This particular package is not a "tarball" or compressed archive. It is actually a shell script. So, no need for Ark.

So, the first thing to do is open your terminal window, and change directory to the /tmp directory:

Code:
        cd /tmp
        Now copy the package to the /tmp directory:

Code:
        sudo cp /home/n8_d/VMw{tab} .
        (Assuming n8_d is your user's name). Notice that I used the tab key to complete that awkward file name, and I used the period to tell bash that I want the file copied to the directory where I am presently working.

Confirm that you have the file there by listing it with

Code:
        ls
        If so, then you run the installer with your bash shell:

Code:
        sh VMw{tab to complete}
        Answer the questions appropriately. Refer to VMware forums if there are issues compiling the modules after you finish installing and run it for the first time. I think there is a patch needed for the 2.6.38 kernel (which I have not been successful applying on my Debian system, BTW).

This should get you started. The "top 20" FAQs in my signature, supplemented with crafty Google searches, will carry you far in getting to know and work with Linux.

Comment

A little addition, when running the Dolphin file manager you can get a terminal in the same directory by hitting the F4 key.

Most software is available through the so-called Repositories and you can search, select and install it through a utility called the Package Manager.
          The present Package Manager for Kubuntu is called KPackageKit, you can find it going through the K-menu (Lower left big K button).

Because KPackageKit is still a 'Work in Progress' one of the first things to install could be Synaptic, arguably the best Package Manager around.
          Or alternatively Muon, possibly the next Kubuntu Package Manager.

The great thing about these Repositories is that the software has been vetted.
          But regrettably some software, like a VM, might still have to be gotten by other means.

Comment

Compaq-Presario-F700-Notebook-PC:/tmp$ sh VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.x86_64.bundle
            This is a x64 bundle and does not match that of the current
            architecture. Please download the x86 bundle.

Kate

# VMware Installer Launcher
            #
            # This is the executable stub to check if the VMware Installer Service
            # is installed and if so, launch it. If it is not installed, the
            # attached payload is extracted, the VMIS is installed, and the VMIS
            # is launched to install the bundle as normal.

# Architecture this bundle was built for (x86 or x64)
            ARCH=64

I don't get it?? Should i change the ARCH to =86? If so, how do i change the owner

ls -l
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 103561067 2011-05-15 01:25 VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.x86_64.bundle

Comment

OK, with a 32-bit operating system, you must install the 32-bit version of any software package that you don't get from the repositories (which automatically accommodate the architecture of your OS). So, you'll need the VMware-Player-3.1.4-385536.i386.bundle package from VMware.

Comment

OF COURSE x86 means 32bit Architecture >! Why didn't i think of that? IT WORKED!! I really appreciate you taken the time to help "The New Guy". I have spent countless hours on this simple task but have learned a lot. Now to START my homework. Thanx again.

N8

Comment

Working...
                X