Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how do you run kubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 together (not at the same time)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you run kubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 together (not at the same time)

I am a newbie to kubuntu can someone help me run kubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 together. ( not at the same time) I am also running windows 7 I didn't install kubuntu yet but I have it dowloaded.

Re: how do you run kubuntu 11.04 and windows 7 together (not at the same time)

Do you have both installed already?

After installing Kubuntu, GRUB should automatically detect windows and add it to the boot menu.

This topic might be of use:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4728#msg234728
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

Just Burn kubuntu in a cd or in a usb

How to burn it in CD or USB:

Go to the 2 Burn your cd or create USB and press show me how http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

Once done just insert the cd with Kubuntu and boot from the USB or CD you should have a key to press after the Post-Bios like f12 or F8 something like it that says Boot device or something..

Well once you are in the process just install it alongside windows 7. Just ask if u got stuck in any step.

Comment

If you want to use the Windows 7 boot loader to start Kubuntu (or any other linux/BSD/etc.), install GRUB to the root partition during the Kubuntu install. Then, grab a copy of EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1) and install that into Windows. The app lets you modify the Windows bootloader so you can boot into any other OS.

Comment

All answers so far are somewhat correct.

Yes Kubuntu can, contrary to Windows, without any issues be installed alongside an other operating system like Windows.

Once starting the install you will be asked how you want to share/divide the hard disk, with some careful reading and following the leads you can divide the disk as needed.

But as a long time Linux user I would suggest first you use the partition manager present in some versions of Win7 to free some space on your hard disk prior to installing Linux.
          Alternatively first run Kubuntu as a Live CD/ USB and then use the KDE partition manager to split the disk. Or download and make a Gparted Live CD to do the same.

The best advise I can give is to make three extra (and separate) partitions for Linux;
          First a system partition called 'root' or /
          Second a swap partition called swap where any overflow of data from RAM can be 'parked' and where the content of RAM is stored for hibernation.
          Third a partition for your personal settings and documents called /home

Root needs at least 5 GB, I recommend 8-10 GB.
          Swap needs at least as much as you have RAM memory with a minimum of 1 GB.
          /home can be as large as you can spare with a minimum of about 5-10 GB.

Further along during the install process something called Grub2 will be configured and installed, this will from now on be the first thing you see when booting the computer and give you the choice to continue booting in either Windows or Linux/Kubuntu.

Grub(2) is able to handle many more things, like on this laptop I get the choice between Vista, XP and two versions of Kubuntu.

Succes!

Comment

Working...
          X