This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Downdating Kubuntu

I was happily running 2.6.15-23-386 when Synaptic suggested 2.6.15-25.

So I said, sure, go ahead.

When it booted, there were problems possibly related to DCOPserver not running. I suppose I could have figured it out with help from this forum, but I'd rather just go back to 2.6.15. Of course, it's still there, and grub lets me boot it, but I'd like to get rid of 25 so 15 will be the default boot.

When I suggest this to Synaptic, it says it's going to remove linux-image (not just linux-image-2.6.25-386). I'm a paranoid newbie, so this terrifies me. Somebody please reassure me that Synaptic knows what it's doing and I won't end up blowing everything away.

Re: Downdating Kubuntu

Just make sure it only removes 2.6.15-25 stuff (take special note of the numbers) and make sure that linux-image-2.6.15-23 is untouched.
    Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Originally posted by groundhog
      When it booted, there were problems possibly related to DCOPserver not running. I suppose I could have figured it out with help from this forum, but I'd rather just go back to 2.6.15.  Of course, it's still there, and grub lets me boot it, but I'd like to get rid of 25 so 15 will be the default boot.
      Have you noticed there is a 2.6.15-26 kernel image available, perhaps you'll have more luck with that?

When I suggest this to Synaptic, it says it's going to remove linux-image (not just linux-image-2.6.25-386).  I'm a paranoid newbie, so this terrifies me. Somebody please reassure me that Synaptic knows what it's doing and I won't end up blowing everything away.
      linux-image-386 (and linux-386, linux-restricted-modules-386 if you have restricted modules installed) are metapackages that depend on the latest actual kernel packages. (metapackages are 'empty', they just point to other packages to install)

Removing a metapackage won't harm your system, but after removing the kernel metapackages synaptic won't be able to tell you when there is a newer kernel version available. Therefore you should 'force' an earlier version of the metapackages (the ones that depend on the previous kernel image).

You can do that in Synaptic by choosing the package (linux-image-386) and choose Package>Force Version from the main menu. From the dropdown menu in the dialog just choose an earlier version (It should still be available).

Comment

Jucato and Kubicle - thanks.

Not sure I made it clear that a) 2.6.15-23 is still installed - that's what I'm running on right now and b) the package Synaptic says it's going to remove is named "linux-image", not "linux-image-386" or anything else.

Based on what you've said, though, I'm going to go ahead and install 2.6.15-26, and *then* remove -25. If -26 doesn't work out, then I will be confident that I can remove it too and go back to -23.

Comment

Successfully got rid of 2.6.15-25 and -26. Back to normal with -23. Thanks again.

(Thing that scared me about -26 was that it didn't recognize my DLink Airplus DWL-630 at all, whereas -23 does, although I have to use Wireless Assistant to actually connect. I've posted in the Network forum about this.)

Comment

Working...
          X