X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Triple-booting Kubuntu 10.04, Windows 7 and PC-BSD

Hello

I've already set up Kubuntu (Lucid) and windoze.
    Now, I just added a second HDD and installed PC-BSD on it (It's a secondary hdd) and GRUB doesn't detect it (tried 'sudo update-grub).

The methods described in the pc-bsd handbook didn't quite help, so... how do I make this work?

Thanks,
    ElWray
    Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Re: Triple-booting Kubuntu 10.04, Windows 7 and PC-BSD

m not vey sure abt this but i use to tripple boot Ubuntu 10.10, Windows 7 and PC-BSD. search for that topic on internet but the easiest way for u i think is to use Easy-BCD. u may go to Neosmart i think download it and install it in windows and follow the instruction from it help on Neosmart website.

Comment

mayb this could help u. gud luck!
      http://www.techonia.com/add-pc-bsd-p...rub-ubuntu-lts

Comment

have you tried adding the bsd entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst manually?

it might look something like:

title BSD
        root (hd1,1)

also checking the device.map might be useful
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

i used gag bootloader in the past and worked for me http://gag.sourceforge.net/

Comment

Originally posted by Gediminas2
            have you tried adding the bsd entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst manually?

it might look something like:

title BSD
            root (hd1,1)

also checking the device.map might be useful
            Apparently there is no device.map in /boot/grub
            Same goes for menu.lst; I can't find it.
            I do have grub.cfg though and I did try adding BSD there (with /etc/grub.d/40_custom).

Here's what that last entry looks like:

Code:
            ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
            # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
            # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
            # the 'exec tail' line above.
            menuentry "PC-BSD (on /dev/sdb1)" {
            insmod ufs
            set root='(hd1,1)'
            search --no-floppy --fs-uuid
            chainloader +1
            } ### END /etc/grub.d/40_custom ###
            Core 2 Quad Q6600<br />4 GB RAM<br />GeForce 9800 GTX<br />Hitachi Deskstar 1TB<br />Seagate 250 GB<br /><br />Triple-booting Gentoo, Crunchbang &amp; Windows 7

Comment

See How do I add PC BSD / FreeBSD to Grub 2 boot loader?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

for ElWray, some may suggest abt editing etc/grub.d/40_custom but i may suggest also /boot/grub/menu.lst
                go to Konsole then type kdesudo kate (or kwrite) /boot/grub/menu.lst for grub menu. I think ur code is correct. But can u see the PC-BSD on grub entry

Comment

Basically, install BSD to the second drive and install it's boot loader to the second drive.

Then "chainload" to the second drive's bootloader.

menuentry 'BSD|' --class os {
                  set root='(hd1,1)'
                  chainloader +1
                  }

This entry goes into /etc/grub.d/40_custom. I assumed BSD is installed on the second drive in partition 1. You may need to change the partition number if your setup is otherwise.

Another possible idea: Use virtualbox to run BSD rather than dual booting.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's what I tried already, but it doesn't work (yet?).
                    I'll just try repartitioning and reinstalling then edit 40_custom again.
                    Maybe I did something wrong there.

Comment

IMO, each operating system ought to stick to its own bootloader.

I don't think Grub2 should be used as a universal bootloader and I think it should be used only for (K)Ubuntu systems.

What I do instead is install Grub Legacy in a standalone boot partition and merely use it to chainload other bootloaders.

It is set to chainload the windows bootloader, the Mac bootloader, the Ubuntu bootloader, and the OpenSuse bootloader on my system.

That way when I change things around, delete partitions or OSs, all I have to do is edit the Grub menu.lst in the boot partition.

I leave Grub2 to update itself for the (K)ubuntu OS only, and, in fact, never touch it (after first tweaking it for instant load).

The method I use is at

Kubuntuguide:
                      http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by ElWray
                        What error messages are you getting?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                          Originally posted by ElWray
                          What error messages are you getting?
                          Absolutely none. It just doesn't show up in the menu when I start the pc

Comment

Ok, - so you've put the above entry in /etc/grub.d/40_Custom, run update-grub...

...you should see your manual entry in the list of "detected" OS's.

Then when you boot it simply isn't in the list?

Attach a copy of /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Please Read Me

Comment

The 40_custom file has to be executable. If it is not, then it won't be included when running sudo update-grub. If it is executable, but the contents aren't in the proper syntax, the incorrect content won't be inluded.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X