Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent Help needed, Kubuntu 11.04 good as dead...(Solved)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent Help needed, Kubuntu 11.04 good as dead...(Solved)

Hi guys I was tonight upgrading to latest 11.04 and already had everything downloaded and it was on the Installation process when it got stuck on the Flash player install...did not have any progress on the install so I decided to close the upgrade even thought they strongly recommended not to do that...so I went on to shell and wanted to do some sudo apt-get update and upgrade....but dpkg said someone else was running that instance so decided to reboot computer...and now after booting kubuntu I get
    The disk drive for / is not ready yet or not present
    Continue to wait; or Press S to skip mounting or M for manual recovery
    In recovery mode also...did a login via shell pressing manual and run sudo chkfs and nothing...dpkg error did a sudo dpkg --configure -a still the same /etc/var/lib/sudo/console: filesystem read only...

Going nuts...did a mountall and could get to the login screen but no keyboard or mouse or anything works....bfff HELP PLZ!!. :?

Thanks for your time and help.

A desperate Kira.

Re: Urgent Help needed, Kubuntu 11.04 good as dead...

Originally posted by kiraitachi
    I decided to close the upgrade even thought they strongly recommended not to do that...
    and

decided to reboot computer...
    Your decisions, instead of patiently waiting, have cost you your OS. I don't think you have any choice here -- you are going to have to make a new installation. Sorry.

Comment

bfff really? isn't there anyway I can return it to normal state? or mount / or do something about it??

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        I decided to close the upgrade even thought they strongly recommended not to do that...
        and

decided to reboot computer...
        Your decisions, instead of patiently waiting, have cost you your OS. I don't think you have any choice here -- you are going to have to make a new installation. Sorry.
        bfff really? isn't there anyway I can return it to normal state? or mount / or do something about it??
        My guess is that it would be possible ... but saving any wanted documents with a liveCD/USB and do a fresh install is probably quicker. I did almost the same thing but a firmware driver for my Brother printer borked my upgrade on my ubuntu partition.(strangely it didn't on Kubuntu - though I used CLI upgrade on Kubuntu). Now I can't mount it. Hopefully I can recover the work I had on that partition(which shouldn't be much - mostly some downloaded pdfs that I would like to keep.)

I will try the new feature "From 11.04 onwards,when you boot the livecd and start installing it will give a option of upgrading to 11.04. it will automatically detect installed apps and install the updated version of your apps also." 8) post #4 here http://askubuntu.com/questions/22747...10-10-to-11-04
        I don't have any high hopes that it will work, but it's worth a shot. Not sure if this will work with Kubuntu too.

I also struggle with this unity thing on my laptop *gosh* which I carelessly borked myself without any firmware, only myself to blame - broke both unity login and classical login - lesson learned - juggle with 1 ball before starting with 3 but hey - now's the time for learning.
        ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
        Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
        Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
        Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
        - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
        >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Yeah I know I can recover the files and stuff, and thankfully It´s not my first time troubleshooting these things so I have a backup of the same files in windows 7 and in other hdd.

But the set up I had in Kubuntu and all the apps was so worked out and I spent so much time getting the correct apps for kde ( example Dropbox specially designed for KDE: kfile) that I wished I didn´t have to go back to a fresh install...:/
          will try the new feature "From 11.04 onwards,when you boot the livecd and start installing it will give a option of upgrading to 11.04. it will automatically detect installed apps and install the updated version of your apps also." Cool post #4 here http://askubuntu.com/questions/22747...10-10-to-11-04
          I don't have any high hopes that it will work, but it's worth a shot. Not sure if this will work with Kubuntu too.
          Thanks for the idea, will try today.

P.D.

I found this looking at google and seems that works for most of the people...going to do it today...and see for myself...
          You can solve this manually:
          During boot write down the UUID of the drive and press S to skip mounting the drive.
          Open the terminal window and type:
          sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Locate the entry with the UUID you wrote down and put a dash (#) before that line to disable it. The file will look something like this and I highlighted the line that I disabled:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
          #
          # lt;file systemgt; lt;mount pointgt; lt;typegt; lt;optionsgt; lt;dumpgt; lt;passgt;

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
          #Entry for /dev/sda1 :
          UUID=31b7ed42-80c5-4d3e-ab89-fd5fb6cbc7df /..........
          #Entry for /dev/sdc5 :
          #UUID=15DB122A7DAE9399 /.........
          #Entry for /dev/sda5 :
          UUID=db6830a1-c2f8-4f7a-b04b-3b3662c2455d none swap sw 0 0

Save the file and at the next reboot no questions asked

Comment

Yeah I know I can recover the files and stuff, and thankfully It´s not my first time troubleshooting these things so I have a backup of the same files in windows 7 and in other hdd.

But the set up I had in Kubuntu and all the apps was so worked out and I spent so much time getting the correct apps for kde ( example Dropbox specially designed for KDE: kfile) that I wished I didn´t have to go back to a fresh install...:/
            I understand you completely - but in my experience however I found that installing again new packages reduce the risk of conflicts, usually I find installing anew will get better result. But as stated - I understand you, though it is a personal flavor of doing things.

will try the new feature "From 11.04 onwards,when you boot the livecd and start installing it will give a option of upgrading to 11.04. it will automatically detect installed apps and install the updated version of your apps also." Cool post #4 here http://askubuntu.com/questions/22747...10-10-to-11-04
            Thanks for the idea, will try today.
            I just tried with a fresh download (of ubuntu) and I didn't see anything of this feature - unless the import of my Kubuntu account settings was a part of this, I haven't seen this before however. Though it was only firefox settings from my Kubuntu user account.

P.D.

I found this looking at google and seems that works for most of the people...going to do it today...and see for myself...
            You can solve this manually:
            During boot write down the UUID of the drive and press S to skip mounting the drive.
            Open the terminal window and type:
            sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Locate the entry with the UUID you wrote down and put a dash (#) before that line to disable it. The file will look something like this and I highlighted the line that I disabled:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
            #
            # lt;file systemgt; lt;mount pointgt; lt;typegt; lt;optionsgt; lt;dumpgt; lt;passgt;

proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0
            #Entry for /dev/sda1 :
            UUID=31b7ed42-80c5-4d3e-ab89-fd5fb6cbc7df /..........
            #Entry for /dev/sdc5 :
            #UUID=15DB122A7DAE9399 /.........
            #Entry for /dev/sda5 :
            UUID=db6830a1-c2f8-4f7a-b04b-3b3662c2455d none swap sw 0 0

Save the file and at the next reboot no questions asked
            My guess is that it would be possible ...
            And that's why I prefer GNU/Linux over any It-don't-work-hand-it-to-the-repair-shop-kind-of-OS There's always a way to resolve trouble.

Got my files and will do a fresh install of Ubuntu and keep my Kubuntu as it was - time to do some learning on my messed up laptop. I was looking forward and eager to get a taste of Unity but my oh my was that taste sour time to put some sugar in that cup of coffee.

/Jonas
            ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)

Comment

If you want to preserve your environment through a reinstall, what you need to do is usually simply to copy your entire home directory from the old install, then install fresh, put the copy back and install any packages that you were using.

I've used that many times, both for restore and for mass installation with the same configuration.

There are some ways to list which packages are installed and automatically create a script to install them, but I've yet not found it hard enough to do it manually to bother with that.

Comment

And that's why I prefer GNU/Linux over any It-don't-work-hand-it-to-the-repair-shop-kind-of-OS Wink There's always a way to resolve trouble.
                So true....just once I went to the repair shop..and it was cause my screen of my laptop was flickering and turning off randomly and before I hand it over I did lot of experiments with it opening the screen and more...and when I got my pc back from the shop they said they dont have the piece to repair it and for the check up they were going to bill me 30 $ WTF! You didnt fix it and want to make me pay? I just took my computer and run away XD....

If you want to preserve your environment through a reinstall, what you need to do is usually simply to copy your entire home directory from the old install, then install fresh, put the copy back and install any packages that you were using.

I've used that many times, both for restore and for mass installation with the same configuration.

There are some ways to list which packages are installed and automatically create a script to install them, but I've yet not found it hard enough to do it manually to bother with that.
                Lol are you sure about that? If I remove the entire / folder and copy otherone...the UUID woulkd change and lots more?? Not sure..but bfff looks like kidna messy...

Comment

Lol are you sure about that? If I remove the entire / folder and copy otherone...the UUID woulkd change and lots more?? Not sure..but bfff looks like kidna messy...
                  this is another way http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3116483.0 (didn't think of it before )

Comment

Hi guys I was tonight upgrading to latest 11.04 and already had everything downloaded and it was on the Installation process when it got stuck on the Flash player install......
                    Still no coffee in me, so probably completely wrong, but in the past when installing some proprietary packages you need to go to the more details (which opens a terminal window) since it is waiting for you to hit Y to the license. I've only upgraded so I don't know if that was your issue, but it is worth knowing in case you do reinstall.

Comment

Guys I had the same issue - it was hung at 79% and KDE was frozen... I had no choice but to hit CTRL+ALT+F3 and reboot the PC.

Then it was complaining about not being able to mount / so I rebooted into single user mode by going into the grub menu, editing the current kernel and appending "single" at the end and then hit CTRL-X to boot then did the following:

fsck /dev/sda1 (to check for disk errors)

mountall (to mount / in rw mode)

/etc/init.d/networking start (pretty self explanatory)

apt-get update (to pull down the latest sources)

and then ran: dpkg --configure -a to resume the installation which took about 20 minutes to do its thing... I rebooted and it was back up and running again! WHEW!

Comment

Originally posted by enkrypt3d
                        Guys I had the same issue - it was hung at 79% and KDE was frozen... I had no choice but to hit CTRL+ALT+F3 and reboot the PC.

Then it was complaining about not being able to mount / so I rebooted into single user mode by going into the grub menu, editing the current kernel and appending "single" at the end and then hit CTRL-X to boot then did the following:

and then ran: dpkg --configure -a to resume the installation which took about 20 minutes to do its thing... I rebooted and it was back up and running again! WHEW!
                        Thanks so much!!!! You're my savior!!! It was so funny thought I ran dpkg --configure -a and worked!!! when other times I runed it didnt lol!!!

Anyway thanks It worked and saved my Kubuntu and started as 11.04 and worked well.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by enkrypt3d

Thanks so much!!!! You're my savior!!! It was so funny thought I ran dpkg --configure -a and worked!!! when other times I runed it didnt lol!!!

Anyway thanks It worked and saved my Kubuntu and started as 11.04 and worked well.

Thanks
                          Woot! i'm glad I was able to help! When I tried to boot my pc it asked me for the root password which is single user mode... so it won't startup networking in this runlevel... you probably didn't start the network or mount / in rw mode... Glad its all working tho!

Comment

You didnt fix it and want to make me pay? I just took my computer and run away XD....
                            Even though they didn't have the part on hand, they still had the right to charge (and receive payment) for their time to diagnose the issue.

Regards...
                            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
                            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
                            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Originally posted by ardvark71
                              You didnt fix it and want to make me pay? I just took my computer and run away XD....
                              Even though they didn't have the part on hand, they still had the right to charge (and receive payment) for their time to diagnose the issue.

Regards...
                              I do not agree with that, I made the diagnose and already knew what was going on...they also made a diagnose in front of me and told me what was going on....So Yes! its true that they should get payed for the time spent, but If they made a diagnose in fornt of me and I knew already what was going on before I dont think that deserves to get payed....They are telling me something I already know...Besides knowing that is a screen issue and is considered as a WHOLE part in a Laptop (knowing that they dont have any screen or hardware part for laptops) they just took the laptop to make me pay a review and thats what I dint feel honest about.

Anyway I thing the system is wrong...You get payed for doing your job not for trying and failing...

So if don´t fix it, just say sorry can´t fix it, take it to another customer service..(Besides understand my point of view...Im just a student 19 years old, without a single coin XD) Wouldnt mind paying 30$ for just review...(maybe).

Comment

Working...
                              X