This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing firefox 4?

I seriously have no idea how to. I have the tar.bzz but don't know how to run it, then I tried two CLI commands I saw in more than 1 place, but then it wanted a Kubuntu 10.10 CD (which I provided, and it rejected). [SOLVED]

Re: installing firefox 4?

Forget about the file you have got. There are 2 ways to get firefox 4 on your system:

1. You can upgrade to Natty where the default firefox version is already 4 or

2. Assuming you want to stay with 10.10 you can add the firefox 4 ppa, referred to here

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/03/f...d-10-10-users/

There are 2 ways to do it, either adding the repository via kpackagekit, or you may find it easier to simply copy and paste (separately) the 2 commands into a terminal window.

Either way should get you up and running with Firefox 4 in no time

Comment

I just did the first command, and then simply

sudo apt-get upgrade

and it seems to be working.

Though I may have questions regarding bookmarks, cookies, history, tabs. ._.

Comment

Okay, just to make sure this is what you did

Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
        Then hit return and at the prompt type your password then hit return again

You should then see the system adding the repository to the list

Then

Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        Return

Should update your package list and then download and install firefox 4 and any dependencies.

Note that this presumes you already have firefox 3 already installed. If you have not then the second line becomes

Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install firefox
        The other way (this may be less than 100% precise as I don't use kpackagekit) is

open kpackagekit and select settings

In package sources paste the following

Code:
        ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
        Hit add

Then select software updates and tell the system to check for updates. If firefox is already installed you should see the new version available or if you haven't got it installed, you should be able to get it by typing firefox in the search box and then selecting it.

Edit: I see it now seems to be working

If you were using FF3 everything should have been carried forward but if you have any queries feel free.

BTW sorry but for some reason I didn't get advised of the edit of your last post when I selected "post" - as a result I answered a problem you have already solved

Comment

It's fine. For some reason, if I did the second command with the part
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          it would ask for a Kubuntu CD and fail at 99%.
          But just using
          Code:
          sudo apt-get upgrade
          worked well.

Comment

I wonder whether you have the CD enabled as a source. It's not necessary as it contains a mere fraction of what's in the repositories and by now pretty much on the CD is out of date, so you will really only need it if you have to reinstall.

Open kpackagekit and select software sources. If the CD shows up in the list as enabled you can disable it, then next time you run update you won't be pestered for the CD.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
              I wonder whether you have the CD enabled as a source. It's not necessary as it contains a mere fraction of what's in the repositories and by now pretty much on the CD is out of date, so you will really only need it if you have to reinstall.

Open kpackagekit and select software sources. If the CD shows up in the list as enabled you can disable it, then next time you run update you won't be pestered for the CD.

HTH
              idk what you're referring to :/

Comment

Start kpackagekit and select settings. You will then see the list of software repositories. Every time you try to update your system, updated details for those that are checked will be retrieved. What you are saying suggests to me that there is a checked entry for the cd rom installation disk - if the disk is not in the drive you will get an error. You can safely untick the box which should stop the error.

Comment

Mozilla also keeps a security update PPA repository for all new versions of its software, including Firefox and Thunderbird.

It is at

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill.../+archive/ppa/

Instructions for adding their repository is there.

Just add their PPA repository and then you can install the latest software as usual (from the command-line or kPackageKit).

For example, for Natty I add the repositories:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozi...ity/ppa/ubuntu natty main
                  deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozi...ity/ppa/ubuntu natty main

Repositories are most easily added from KPackageKit:
                  K menu -> System -> KPackageKit -> Settings -> Edit origins -> Other software -> Add...

Do this twice, adding each of the "deb ..." repository lines this way.

(I could not find Firefox 4 in the "Mozilla team PPA" that was referenced in the earlier post, nor could I find Natty sources, but since Firefox 4 is the default in Natty, this probably isn't an issue.)

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                  and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                  X