X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire One 522

Greetings All,

I'm a noob with Kubuntu/Linux. Just got an Acer Aspire One 522 which crawls with windows 7. Loaded Kubuntu 10.10 and its is SO much better. One problem though is that I can't find a driver for the wifi? Anyone know how to help

Thanks

Re: Acer Aspire One 522

not sure if you have tried this or not but it generally works like this

plug in your laptop to a wired connection (then u have internet )
    run the "hardware drivers" program it will look for drivers you need . like the one that controls your (braodcom?) chipset in the wifi. Also if there is a switch make sure its turned on (this might not work till after you install the driver is there is one).

if possible replace teh card in the future w/ one that has an open driver like an atheros card, mine was 11 dollars on ebay and it was newer w/ N suport

hopefully that helps. if not then open a terminal (look in you K menu) and plz provide us w/ the output for the command lcpci .this will let us know a bit about your hw so we can make a better guess next time.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

What Sithlord48 said.

Also, I bought my wife an Acer Aspire Once A0521. I knew it would be slow with only 1GB so I bought a 2Gb stick from Amazon for $28US. That extra Gig made a WORLD of difference in speed and performance.

BUT, a friend of mine bought the 522 and a 2 Gig stick to do what I did. The problem was that on the 521 there is, on the bottom of the computer, a trap door above the RAM slot held by four screws. Easy replacement. On the 522 one had to pop off the keyboard, remove 7 screws that held the circuit board. Lift out the circuit board and remove four screws holding a metal shield over the RAM slot. I was unable to pop the keyboard out without the really thin special stainless steel tool necessary to do that job.

I have no knowledge of why Acer decided to make upgrading the RAM so easy on the A0521 and so hard on the 522, but they did. Perhaps they felt they were loosing significant service fees?

The various Acer Aspire One models may differ in many other ways as well, making it difficult to suggest specific courses of action for a problem on an Acer One.

As far as my wife's A0521, it has been running perfectly since last November and she really loves it. I put Kubuntu on it using WUBI and it worked great .... until the first kernel update, then I couldn't get it to boot into Kubuntu, so I booted into Win7 and used the control panel to remove Kubuntu. I added MS Security Essentials to her Win7 Starter, along with CCleaner, and AusDefrag. She runs Win7, which is visually nearly identical to Kubuntu KDE4 desktop. Even though she is a technophobe she has no trouble running it 99% of the time. My wireless box also has a firewall and grc "ShieldsUp!" gives her a green board with no ping response. She doesn't download any files, Her mail client is Thunderbird with span assassin active, and her browser is FireFox 3.6. We don't do any online banking or shopping with it. That activity is strictly reserved for this Sony VAIO running Lucid Lynx. She doesn't play online games or visit pron sites so her little box shows no signs of a logger or of being a bot, i.e., no unexpected IP connections.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I will try running the driver software. One more issue. I'm trying to Install Kubuntu parallel to my windows operating system from a pendrive "live" version of Kubuntu. The installer never gets past, preparing. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Birdmandan
          I will try running the driver software. One more issue. I'm trying to Install Kubuntu parallel to my windows operating system from a pendrive "live" version of Kubuntu. The installer never gets past, preparing. Any thoughts?
          the first suggestion i can give for that is to (under windows) run a full disk check. sometimes if your disk is really bad it won't format (im guessing your seeing preparing to resize the disk)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

There are some files on a Win7 HD that are not movable. IF those files appear near the center of the HD then a defrag tool, like AusDefrag, can move all the movable files to the front of the disk, freeing up the space on the end of the HD, after the unmovable files. IF, however, the unmovable files are at the end of the HD then it is difficult to move the unmovable files to a more frontal position.

Install AusLogic's Win7 Defragger from this site and check to see where your unmovable files are, or if defragging can free up enough space to create a partition.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X