This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several networking questions related to packet radio

At this point in my project, I have the soundmodem program set up and running, and it succeeds in connecting through a signalink USB on the air.

Several issues have come up, maybe someone has some ideas:

1. the soundmodem program sets itself up as a network device, sm0. There appear to be some conflicts between sm0 and eth0, the system's ethernet device. When sm0 is running, after a few minutes, no applications (firefox, etc) can access the internet over eth0. They do not appear to be trying sm0. Also traffic going through sm0 slows down or stops.

2. I really have no idea how to set up routing tables, etc for the sm0 device, or if I even need to. All of the examples I have found have no explanations as to what to do, just examples with ip numbers that don't mean anything on my system. Total confusion on this one.

3. The sm0 port is set up so that only root can access it. This is from the old days. Is there a way to set up the sm0 device so that a user can access it without recompiling the program? Eventually I will need to run a program through wine (Airmail) which does actually work on the ethernet, but of course cannot be run as root.

I am groping in the dark on this project, but it will be very cool if it works. Our local disaster communications group wants to switch to digital as much as possible, and our most recent exercise taught us all we really need it to work. We have a network of packet repeaters, but at the moment only windows users can go through it. If this all works, then the floodgates are opened.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Several networking questions related to packet radio

just saw: http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:SoundModem

Comment

Re: Several networking questions related to packet radio

Yes I saw that. Those are good instructions, as far as they go. But it doesn't address the problems I am having with the sm0 port. I don't think their solution for chmoding the executable will work for a wine program.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...
      X