Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] Is using a netbook as a modem for desktop pc possible?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] Is using a netbook as a modem for desktop pc possible?

Hello there.

[intro]
    In a few days a new desktop PC will arrive for me, and I only have wireless internet where I'm going to use the PC. Bu I have a netbook that I have been using for a long time.
    [/intro]

[the question]
    If I connect an Ethernet cable directly between the netbook and the PC, will I be able to set the netbook as a gateway to go to internet (via the netbooks wireless connection) ?
    [/]

[Additional info]
    The PC will only arrive in a few days, without an OS. I will put a 64bit Kubuntu 10.10 in it. The netbook runs PCLinuxOS2011 (could not get ANY *buntu run on it)
    [/]

If anyone has ever tried it and would share their knowledge, that would be awesome
    P.S. I haven't used any *buntu distro for almost 2 years, so I'm not sure if I'll have all the net packages installed out of the box. If you could tell me what packages I would need to get, I would start gathering them (and dependencies) right now
    Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Re: Is using a netbook as a modem for desktop pc possible?

A better approach would be this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...486&CatId=2688

or this: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...829&CatId=2688

if it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gediminas2
      [the question]
      If I connect an Ethernet cable directly between the netbook and the PC, will I be able to set the netbook as a gateway to go to internet (via the netbooks wireless connection) ?
      [/]
      Yes, I'm pretty sure it is possible. In this case your netbook would act as default gateway for the new computer.

I say it is possible, but I don't believe you will actually want to do that. There are much simpler solutions for getting the Internet to your desktop from a wireless connection.

As dibl suggested, installing a PCI or USB wireless adapter on the new PC should be a piece of cake. Just make sure the one you buy is known to work with Linux.

A more interesting option to enhance your LAN is a wireless bridge. The basic idea is to purchase a second wireless router (one with some wired ports) and configure it as a client of the existing gateway wireless router. This makes it possible to bridge the wireless LAN of router1 into the wired LAN of router2.

Hope I explained that correctly. Anyway read the linked article for a better explanation. :P
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thank you for the advice however buying something new will have to wait at least a month until I get my next salary. (Spent 2.5 months salary on the PC)

Anyway, I was only planning on using the internet only for getting drivers, updates and such

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is possible. In this case your netbook would act as default gateway for the new computer.

I say it is possible, but I don't believe you will actually want to do that. There are much simpler solutions for getting the Internet to your desktop from a wireless connection.
        There's no fun in doing only trivial things And a challenge makes life brighter

The wireless bridge article looks promising, this might help me. Thanks
        Join the dark side<br />---------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Samsung NC10 netbook running<br />PCLinuxOS 2010 // Win XP

Comment

Re: [Probably solved] Is using a netbook as a modem for desktop pc possible?

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/sharing-in...in-ubuntu.html has instructions to do what you want. I've done similar things this way, bridged computers to the net over a cellular connection on a laptop. Works fine but is a kludge and dedicated hardware is probably a better bet. Note that the IP addresses listed in these instructions may need to be adapted to match your network setup. Hope this helps.

Comment

this might be more helpful...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              Thank you, this worked from the first try

Comment

Re: [solved] Is using a netbook as a modem for desktop pc possible?

This is the solution I use:

Kubuntuguide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Natty#In...DHCP_server.29

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
                X