This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruby Install

I just finished installing ruby from the synaptic package manger, but I can't seem to run the interpreter(sp). I issue a ruby myprog.rb from the command line and it doesn't work; tells me command not found

If someone could point in the the right direction to get this to work I would appreciate it.

Re: Ruby Install

Originally posted by cjnkns
    I just finished installing ruby from the synaptic package manger, but I can't seem to run the interpreter(sp). I issue a ruby myprog.rb from the command line and it doesn't work; tells me command not found

If someone could point in the the right direction to get this to work I would appreciate it.
    I've seen this before. It seems that the $PATH is cached, so programs recently installed sometimes won't run right away. I have not seen this since upgrading to Dapper.

Run
    Code:
    which ruby
    to find out the full path then run it using the full path until the $PATH catches up

Comment

Thanks a million! I never would have figured that one out.. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Hmmm I tried the "which ruby" command and it doesn't give me anything; just another command prompt.. I tired it with javac and it worked though.

Any ideas?

Comment

Of course, one possibility is that the ruby installation failed. There is a way to check this and to find ruby. In a konsole type
          Code:
          sudo updatedb  <--- reloads the intalled files data base
          locate ruby  <--- looks for ALL files with "ruby" in name

Comment

Working...
          X