X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

64-bit or x86 ??

hi there

i'm currently running a dual boot with XP and Xandros 3 (x86 version). i am gonna get rid of Xandros cos i fancy trying something new and a bit more "linuxy" (nice word >_< ).

i have a AMD 64 bit 3500+ processor so i know i can go for either the x86 or 64-bit version of Kubuntu, but not sure which is best. it will remain dual boot with XP.

bearing in mind im a relative n00b, which architecture would u recommend? whats the deal with software on the 64-bit OS. does the software have to be 64bit too or does it not matter so long as u compile from source?

ideally i would like to try the 64bit version but cos i can be a retard at times im worried i'll have trouble installing software such as amarok, cinelerra, etc.

thanks

Re: 64-bit or x86 ??

Either one would work.

I think the 64-bit would be better because it's optimised for that processor.

Comment

Originally posted by Renzokuken

i have a AMD 64 bit 3500+ processor so i know i can go for either the x86 or 64-bit version of Kubuntu, but not sure which is best. it will remain dual boot with XP.
      AMD 64 bits is an X86 architecture, but the data bus is 64 bits instead of 32 bits for others.
      You can use your processor in 32/64 bits mode.

If you install linux for X86 you will work in 32 bits mode.
      If you install linux for 64-bits you will work in 64 bits mode.

If you want a fast system choose 64-bits, but if you want stability chosse 32 bits mode.

Comment

ok, thanks.....i got 64 bit version on download now

but what about software........ will i need to use 64bit software on the OS? thats the bit that is confusing me......

Comment

32 bit software will run on your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Renzokuken
            ok, thanks.....i got 64 bit version on download now

but what about software........ will i need to use 64bit software on the OS? thats the bit that is confusing me......
            You can use 32 bits and 64 bits software.
            But 64 bits softwares can't run in a 32 bits OS, because the OS work with 32 bits.
            64 or 32 bits is just the number of bits uses by the OS (if your processor support 64 bits mode it will be faster because the OS will work with 64 bits in the same time).

Comment

brilliant, thanks for your help guys, much appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X