This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless adapter help?

I'm extremely new with Kubuntu, and I've looked all over and haven't found out anything very useful for my issue, but hopefully this place will help me out (:
    here's my issue: I have an azio usb wireless adapter plugged into my pc, and i cannot connect to the internet or network at all, I found some "drivers" on the manufacturers website, but I have no clue how to install them.
    I'm sure that's all I need to do, will anyone please help me out?

Re: Wireless adapter help?

p.s.:

distrib_release=10.4
    KDE 4.4.5
    grub version 0.97-29ubuntu60

I have a desktop with amd 64bit
    ATI Technologies inc rs690 nvidia gt216?
    I think I have about 4gigs of ram,
    a 1tb internal HD and a small portable hard drive

Comment

Which model of azio usb wireless adapter?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

AWU101N

Comment

The Linux driver for this model can be downloaded here. It's a compressed (.tar.bz2) file which you will need to uncompress first. Once downloaded, open Dolphin and enter the Download folder (the default location for the download, unless you saved it someplace else). Right-click on the file (awu101n_Linux_090525.tar.bz2) and select Extract Archive Here. Enter the 2009_0424_RT3070_Linux_STA_v2.1.0.0 folder and click on the README_STA file.

This is a driver that has to be compiled, so if you don't understand what to do, ask for help.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, I've downloaded and uncompressed the file, and opened the README and that's where I'm stuck.
            at this point I have no idea how to compile it.. again, I'm super new at this.
            I assume I have to open Konsole and enter a string of commands, but everything I've tried has came up empty-handed,
            a little help would be awesome (:

Comment

I really want to stay with Kubuntu, but I have no clue how to compile. any tips where to go to get some help or what to do to get me started off in the right direction? at this point im pretty lost.

Comment

Edit Actually ignore most of what I say below - having downloaded the file myself I can see that the instructions in the readme file are not simple.

The reference to the extra packages that you will need to install is most likely correct though.

You are dealing with a source code package. After 6 years of running linux, I did my first one last week!
                Navigate to the extracted file and open the readme file

You will probably see a section called installation.

There are 3 key lines beginning as follows:

cmake

make

sudo make install

Highlight the three lines and select copy or ctrl+C

Close off the text editor to see the folder contents in dolphin

Hi F4 to open a terminal at the bottom of the window. An incredibly neat dolphin feature.

Right click in the terminal and select paste then hit return.

You may well get error messages (like I did last week) in which case you probably have some packages missing. See what happened to me here.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3116315.0

As Kubicle advised me "You commonly need to install the appropriate development libraries to compile software. In this case, you need to install at least 'kdelibs5-dev' (and it's dependencies)"

Hope this helps

Ian

Comment

Working...
                X